Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I'm using Folding@Home and SMCFanControl. I notice that if I leave everything default the temperatures will rise to about 69C - I think I've seen as high as 73C before the fan starts to spin up from the default 1800 rpm. The Mac Mini (Late 2014) - i5 is pretty warm to the touch, not burning hot but warm.

I notice if I set SMCFanControl to 3328 rpms (about half way) the temperature will stay around 57C vs 73C. This seems like a HUGE difference but forums I read seem to indicate the Mac Mini can handle some insane temperatures without a problem.

Would you just leave default fan settings or do the 3328 rpm? Thinking for longevity here (at least 2 years of use).

Thanks!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Sorry, no direct experience with folding on a Mini recently. I have only a quite old one doing sometimes some browser based WU with Chrome.

We have some other team members with Minis, hopefully they join.

That's those systems get warm/hot is rather normal with folding. It really use the system. The good thing of modern Intel CPU: they care about themselfs and go slow/down if it's too hot for them. If you have enough ambient airflow around the Mini you might can stay in standard.

Me personally would go with the increased fan speed to ensure enough airflow is created inside the device.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Again, no recent experience but I think either way will be fine - Modern CPUs will last for years at max temperatures and rule of thumb says each 10 degrees below max will double life so even at 70 degC the silicon will outlast the rest of the computer.
My old 2007 Core2Duo mac mini has been running pretty much non-stop with the fan upped to 4500 rpm. However, that's now only just enough to keep the processor at 90 degC. Default settings let it run at 98 degC.

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
I know graphics chips don't like to run that hot, but if the CPU can take it you'll probably wear out the fan before the chip goes bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.