Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
This post echos comments made by others (including Falleron)...

I was really excited about Folding when I first downloaded it and started it running last Friday night. But now, four days later, I have still not completed any work units.

I find this very puzzling since I'm running it on two different machines. Both machines are G4 400MHz with tons of RAM. I am confirming the fact that I have no work units complete by checking the stats page at http://folding.stanford.edu. There is no user named Taft yet. No stats for him whatsoever.

Should this take as long as four days on both of my machines??? Anyone else experiencing this???

Taft

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
I ran a unit that took FOREVER too. I started it last Fri morning and it didn't complete 'til mid Mon. That's like ~3.5 days running 24/7. Some units on my Yosemite take a long time too.

If you're running the console version, I don't think that there is anything to tell you frame by frame completion, just which WU you're on. Does it still indicates that you're on WU 1?

If it has in fact completed, there is the server delay. The server takes a while to register completed units.

If not, just be patient. It really depends on the WU. Some take ~4min/fame some take ~40. But I have never had a WU not complete, so it should pretty soon. If it took that long, then you'll get mad points.

If you want to see your % completed then use the graphical version.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
You wouldn't happen to have a link to the console Control, would you??

I haven't been able to find it.

Taft

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Cmon taft, hang in there bro. There are no easy units, but you will be rewarded with more points for the tougher ones.

"Taft cures Cancer"... I can see the headlines now.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by buffsldr
Cmon taft, hang in there bro. There are no easy units, but you will be rewarded with more points for the tougher ones.

"Taft cures Cancer"... I can see the headlines now.

Heh heh. I'd also like a ticker-tape parade. And a few statues of me with a protien model in one hand and a G4 in the other.

That may be a little too much credit for donating CPU time. Heh.

I guess I'll just be patient. It just seemed to take so long without any feedback. Patience is a virtue, but not one of mine.

Taft

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I'm with you Taft. It takes me ages to complete a unit! However, when I do finish a unit it gives me 5 points where lots people only get 0.5! It take me about 3/4 days to do these on a dual 1ghz g4. however, it does not run 24/7.

Here is the link for Folding Control

http://macaddict4life.dhs.org/folding_control.php

However, when V.3 of folding comes out we should hopefully get Altivec optimisation to make things quicker!!

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
As people have said before, the first unit is harder than others and it takes days to do...these long-taking units give more points...if you get a bunch of one-dayers, they will only give you 0.5 points so it's more use getting these ones that never finish...

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I finished my first unit really quickly, every one I've got since then has taken ages...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.