Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
I have a problem, probably not a big problem in the eyes of some, but still it bothers me.

a week ago i was making almost 1700 points a day, now Im not turning in units every few hours. I know all the machines are on, but for some reason my production drops. is there a way to get folding stats from each computer remotely that anyone knows of?

tomorrow I plan to start writing a script that asks each computer if folding is running, and also check the unit info file. then make a little database for what computers are playing nice :)

mc68k, rower, do you guys have any info on the subject?

(hope there is, and therefore shorten my time spent on it)

- bert

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Well since these are your computers, why not install a back door?

I mean if they weren't *Your* computers I would never sugest this, but this is the easiest.

Edit: Grammar, I'm a moron...

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by MrMacman
Well since these are your computers, why not install a back door?

I mean if they weren't I would never sugest this, but this is the easiest.

kinda what i had in mind. these computers are in low/no secure areas so i can do what i want to them, mess them up, wipe them and re-image in a few hours.

still, just wondering if anyone tried such a thing. that way i won't be starting for extreme scratch.

- bert

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by bertinman
kinda what i had in mind. these computers are in low/no secure areas so i can do what i want to them, mess them up, wipe them and re-image in a few hours.

still, just wondering if anyone tried such a thing. that way i won't be starting for extreme scratch.

- bert

Eh, yeah I messed my grammar up there...
I'm not sure if Rower, Mc68k have because the computers are in their labs...

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by MrMacman
Eh, yeah I messed my grammar up there...
I'm not sure if Rower, Mc68k have because the computers are in their labs...

im in the same situation as they are really. labs full of computers at a university.

im not spending much time in the time these days though, so i wanted to check remotely.

-bert

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i think oc au or oc.com has a gui that does something similar to what u want

i believe it was mentioned here b4, i can look 4 it

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
bousozoku has also mentioned making some sort of app that tracks remote F@H clients. That kind of app would be key for monitoring labs like ours.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I wish I could have done some sort of remote access to the DP at my old job. I know they switched over to OS 9 & likely back to X because my folding performance is pathetic now. :(

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I wish I could have done some sort of remote access to the DP at my old job. I know they switched over to OS 9 & likely back to X because my folding performance is pathetic now. :(

ssh maybe?

not recommending hacking into past jobs' computers though ;)

since most of my comps are windows, I plan to just make a hindden shared folder on each comp with access from from administrator and a dummy account only for folding. log into each computer and check the stats. this won't tell me everything i want to know, but will let me know how long ago a computer downloaded a WU and what its progress is.

- bert

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
found something...

DCMonitor

it works pretty well, kinda slow when you do a manual refresh if you have over 50 comps.

im still in the test phase of it.

- bert

Attachments

• asd.jpg
    asd.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 193

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
DCMonitor

it works pretty well, kinda slow when you do a manual refresh if you have over 50 comps.

im still in the test phase of it.

That's pretty cool, bert. I'm curious to hear how well that works for you and how easy it is to set up. I've been putting F@H on some of the PCs at my work (they don't care), and I'd love to be able to monitor progress from one station.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
ssh maybe?
i thought about this after i went to compusa today. appletalk is on and there is no passwrd.

if the computers arent on some kind of a router (which i assume they are), then i could enable ssh and i would own the machines forever. remote dual 1.42 for all my needs

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by mc68k
i thought about this after i went to compusa today. appletalk is on and there is no passwrd.

if the computers arent on some kind of a router (which i assume they are), then i could enable ssh and i would own the machines forever. remote dual 1.42 for all my needs

That would funny :D. but if someone with a working brain cell who worked there (and cared...) saw that, I think you'd get in trouble.

Originally posted by jimthorn That's pretty cool, bert. I'm curious to hear how well that works for you and how easy it is to set up. I've been putting F@H on some of the PCs at my work (they don't care), and I'd love to be able to monitor progress from one station.

It requires a network location of the files like \\comp\c$\progra~1\foldin~1 to find out the stats. you could always make a share avail to everyone, but if you don't you need admin priv to get to the c$ share. to make it trickier, most machines have different admin passwords. this means that only the machines with the same password will get stats. to fix this, just log into the other machines to the c$ share and plug in the correct admin password and it stores it for later use...by DCMonitor :D.

- bert

(so far its been good, has a webpage output too which i only briefly tested.)

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
bert-
Are you setting up the machines by workgroup name or IP?

I used computer names

ie:

computer with name IBM00 gets an entry of,

name, IBM00
location to find stats, \\IBM00\c$\progra~1\foldin~1
type, Folding@Home

I think you can use IPs as well, but if you have a WINS server you shouldn't need to. Alot of these computers are on DHCP right now because of some subnet switcheroos going on here.

are you and mc68k trying it out as well? :cool:

if so, a fast and easy way to add a bunch of computers is to edit the inf file. I have comps with numbers 00 to 43, so i made an excel sheet that incremented the comp names and cut and pasted it into the inf file :).

when i go to work tomorrow i'll let you all know how things turned out over night with the prog.

- bert

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i hope ur output goes up again, it was sucking there for a while

i run a lot of headless machines, so this program would be a lot better solution than plugging in a physical kvm in for each of them

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by mc68k
i hope ur output goes up again, it was sucking there for a while

i run a lot of headless machines, so this program would be a lot better solution than plugging in a physical kvm in for each of them

me too, and stays. I got 1.2k today. :D this program let me find a few comps that wouldn't keep the folding@home service running once someone logged out. very wierd and not fixed yet.

I don't have any headless comps, only comps locked in closed student labs ;).

Im going to ask my new boss if I can install F@H in one his labs, *crosses fingers*.

also today, I found out that UC Davis has a Mac OSX SIG and a couple people from Apple come by every month and talk with the members about stuff. One more club to join :).

- bert

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
bousozoku has also mentioned making some sort of app that tracks remote F@H clients. That kind of app would be key for monitoring labs like ours.

Yes yes...I don't have things working yet. Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.