Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Is the deadline the preferred deadline or the final deadline? I understand these new A3 projects have a final deadline of 6 days and preferred of 3 days if I'm not mistaken

i believe if you finish before the preferred deadline, you get the bonus, if not then you don't get the bonus. but i'm not totally sure on this

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
i believe if you finish before the preferred deadline, you get the bonus, if not then you don't get the bonus. but i'm not totally sure on this

If it's before the preferred deadline... then even a lonely Core Duo @ 2.16GHz can make it. It takes less than 2 days (approx 1 Day, 16 hours) to finish a single A3 fold..?

I was under the impression that the A3 were only powerful enough for Mac Pro's 8 Core or Quad i7s?

I got thrown a A3 core last night and it's running ~24 minutes per frame. It's at 35 minutes per frame now that I'm using the system + running a virtual machine. But still, I can easily hit the 3 day deadline...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
If it's before the preferred deadline... then even a lonely Core Duo @ 2.16GHz can make it. It takes less than 2 days (approx 1 Day, 16 hours) to finish a single A3 fold..?

I was under the impression that the A3 were only powerful enough for Mac Pro's 8 Core or Quad i7s?

I got thrown a A3 core last night and it's running ~24 minutes per frame. It's at 35 minutes per frame now that I'm using the system + running a virtual machine. But still, I can easily hit the 3 day deadline...

but the faster you get it done, the bigger the bonus you receive

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
A3 works for all core Duo machines. Bigadv is the one that requires 8 virtual cores. Bigadv is currently a modified a2 core, but will become a modified a3 core soon. It will then gain stability when stopping the client, my biggest gripe with Folding.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
A3 works for all core Duo machines. Bigadv is the one that requires 8 virtual cores. Bigadv is currently a modified a2 core, but will become a modified a3 core soon. It will then gain stability when stopping the client, my biggest gripe with Folding.

I hate having to time reboots and problem solving to when it finishes a WU cuz I'm usually not around at the right time :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.