Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
How long does it take everyone to process a 5 point unit? It took me about 3 days, and I was wondering if this is fast?? or slow??

Thanks,
Draft

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by backspinner
It takes me also about 3 days, but I'm running the big ones on a medium PC.

What are the specs on your PC??

I'm on a 400 MHz G4 and it takes frickin' forever. Around 4-5 days. And so far every one of my units has been a really big one.

Does anyone know how the client picks units to work on? Is it some sort of algorithm based on your name? Or based on when you downloaded the unit. Not that I mind that much, but it would be nice to get smaller units. I feel the feedback would be better.

Taft

resm

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
I just finished my first "Jumbo" after having signed up on sunday afternoon.

Now its wednesday evening here.

And that after having my iMac 800 running 24 hrs since sunday :confused:

Must get at least a special bonus for that one :D

Draft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Taft

Does anyone know how the client picks units to work on? Is it some sort of algorithm based on your name? Or based on when you downloaded the unit.

Taft

I'm guessing that part of it is based on how your computer performs for the benchmark test.

Draft

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Read the FAQ:
How long does it take to finish a work unit? How do you measure a work unit?

This varies, of course, on the speed of the computer and the size of the protein under study. Depending on the protein and the property studied, different size work units may be used. In general, a 400 MHz Pentium III can finish a unit in about 24 hours, although some units are shorter.
The 5 point ones take a few days at least no matter what system you're on. My mac usually gets proteinA for 5 pointers, and that can take ~3-4 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.