Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
England
Hiya,

This is my first post for a long time, been busy moving house and settling in. Now i'm all set up again but i've been reduced to dial up net access :( You don't realise how good ADSL is untill it's gone. I've decided to try out this folding thing. I like the idea of helping a good cause, even though my iMac 500Mhz Slot Loader (not even on all the time) might not churn out much.

I've tried searching the forums but didn't see anything related, so my question is:

If i'm using the GUI client, what happens when a unit is completed but i'm not connected to the net at that moment in time? Could anyone clarify what happens and if there is a problem what work arounds there are?

Thanks in advance :)

Oh and yes, I am contributing to that cool team #3446 ;)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
it will just hold it until next time you connect, each time the gui client launches it checks for the connection until its sent, you shouldnt worry. i believ all that info is correct.

iJon

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
You could presumably do it because most of the work is done offline, only downloading and uploading at the end of each work unit. You could go into System Preferences and set it so that you could disconnect after so many minutes of inactivity. (Network - Built In Modem - PPP - PPP Options)

I used to do it on my iMac 400 DV but my dad said I was wasting electricity. I could usually do a unit in about a week of nearly constant folding. Hope I've been helpful. :D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
The machine will stay their and upload/download new protiens when you connect to the internet, but you need to leave it on to fold. ( :rolleyes: )

You don't need the internet connection on, once it finishes one unit, it will wait to upload the unit... etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.