Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanlive

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
I recently purchased an iPad Mini 6 with one of the smart folio cases that folds over the front and magnetically closes.

How do you handle typing in portrait mode? I feel like the front cover always gets in the way.

Tonight I’m trying to fold it into its triangle position (see image) but it’s still kind of annoying to hold especially while typing.

Also, does anyone have any tips on cleaning the inside of the case? I imagine grease from my hands may build up.

Attachments

• F5144D5D-F54B-44C3-89D7-67FB2BB5351A.jpeg
    F5144D5D-F54B-44C3-89D7-67FB2BB5351A.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 160

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I generally don't try to type on my Mini 6 because of that same problem. I use it almost exclusively as my media consumption, gaming, or Zoom device. In those instances when I do need to text, I revert to my iPhone since it's easier to use.

But when I'm in a pinch to type something quickly, I just fold it flat back. I've found that easiest~

dylanlive

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
I generally don't try to type on my Mini 6 because of that same problem. I use it almost exclusively as my media consumption, gaming, or Zoom device. In those instances when I do need to text, I revert to my iPhone since it's easier to use.

But when I'm in a pinch to type something quickly, I just fold it flat back. I've found that easiest~
Glad to know I'm not alone! Wish I would have thought about this before buying the case - at least it was much cheaper than the official apple one.

Reactions: ejin222

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Glad to know I'm not alone! Wish I would have thought about this before buying the case - at least it was much cheaper than the official apple one.
The OG folio covers for the original iPads were magnetic and you could snap it on and off the iPad. I do miss that style and it seems that most case companies sell the the type where it protects the back of the iPad with the cover attached.

dylanlive

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
The OG folio covers for the original iPads were magnetic and you could snap it on and off the iPad. I do miss that style and it seems that most case companies sell the the type where it protects the back of the iPad with the cover attached.
I did some research and I am finding some detachable covers from Third Party. So might do one of these
- https://smile.amazon.com/DUX-DUCIS-Generation-Detachable-Transparent/dp/B09DYB32WS
- https://smile.amazon.com/Generation-Shockproof-Protective-Detachable-Resistant/dp/B09G91N6VH

dylanlive

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
Let us know if you do~ Would like to know of first hand experiences too.
Returned and purchased this:

Much happier as I’m able to remove the flap and case with 0 effort (it attaches magnetically). Unfortunately 0 edge protection though.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.