Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I will most likely be ordering the iPhone Xs Max and will need to get a case to protect it. I am interested in the folio style cases. Such as the Book Book case from TwelveSouth, but I don't think they have one for the iPhone Xs Max.

Does anyone know of other good quality folio cases for the iPhone Xs Max? Please recommend. Thanks.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Apple has theirs, I use with the X and love it ... only thing I wish was that it had a magnetic stay or a strap, but it’s only a minor nuisance. It protects well and I fit 3-4 cards plus cash/receipts ...

Reactions: CarolG

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I like the look and idea but I'm worried I'll get annoyed with it. When I'm using my ipad I'm constantly taking the flip cover thingy off cuz it annoys me. But it's nice that it protects the screen when I'm carrying it. I wish the iphone's folio had the option to remove the cover. It would be nice to have my license handy.

Last edited:

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
Apple has theirs, I use with the X and love it ... only thing I wish was that it had a magnetic stay or a strap, but it’s only a minor nuisance. It protects well and I fit 3-4 cards plus cash/receipts ...
I have used the Apple folio with my X, too. One of my favorite features is that it opens and closes the iPhone, like a Smart Cover. I am ordering the Leather Apple Folio for my Max in Product Red.
[doublepost=1536861283][/doublepost]
I like the look and idea but I'm worried I'll get annoyed with it. When I'm using my ipad I'm constantly taking the flip cover thingy off cuz it annoys me. But it's nice that it protects the screen when I'm carrying it. I wish the iphone's folio had the option to remove the cover. It would be nice to have my license handy.
I put my DL & CC in the Apple Folio Case for my X. I like that both sides of the phone are protected. The cover easily bends back to use the front of the phone. It still looks new and I'm getting another one for the Max

Reactions: darrinS

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
The Apple Folio case is decent, but way too expensive. $129 for the max version. And they don't offer that deep navy blue color anymore. I'm looking at the Book Book Case from Twelvesouth but they don't seem to have one for the Xs Max yet. One thing that's missing from the Apple one is that you can't stand the phone up, which is a feature I really like while I'm out somewhere.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
sena makes a nice one with great drop protection which many of the others don't offer

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I have used the Apple folio with my X, too. One of my favorite features is that it opens and closes the iPhone, like a Smart Cover. I am ordering the Leather Apple Folio for my Max in Product Red.
[doublepost=1536861283][/doublepost]
I put my DL & CC in the Apple Folio Case for my X. I like that both sides of the phone are protected. The cover easily bends back to use the front of the phone. It still looks new and I'm getting another one for the Max

but what about taking pictures and videos? isn't the flap annoying for that?

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Sena folio case looks nice. I have had there cases before and have been quite happy with them. Too bad it is not shipping until October. Also wonder if it will have the sleep/wake screen when closing/opening as I really like that feature.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My wife swears by Ottherbox Strada. Being an Otterbox product, they offer great protection (even the bottom) and made of high quality materials. The magnetic clasp works reliably, the credit card slots do not become loose like many cheaper cases do, and not bulky.

Having said that, I am going to try Apple's official folio case this time around. Last year's model had some design issues where microphones holes weren't properly aligned. I am hoping the issue is fixed because I really dug the case for minimal bulk.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I always like having a folio case for my phone. I like covering the screen when in my pocket and I just find it easier to hold and use. I usually hold the cover in my left hand and use my right hand to brace and maneuver. I dont like the folios though where the credit card pockets rest against the screen of the phone. I have used the Apple folio for a year now on my X, like how only a flat leather surface touches the iphone screen. But, I have nothing in the pockets. I might just order a vajacases folio with just a flat cover and no pockets this time.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I always like having a folio case for my phone. I like covering the screen when in my pocket and I just find it easier to hold and use. I usually hold the cover in my left hand and use my right hand to brace and maneuver. I dont like the folios though where the credit card pockets rest against the screen of the phone. I have used the Apple folio for a year now on my X, like how only a flat leather surface touches the iphone screen. But, I have nothing in the pockets. I might just order a vajacases folio with just a flat cover and no pockets this time.

I take too many pictures and videos to have the cover dangling in my way. otherwise, i'd love a folio style!

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
It would be nice if there was a folio case where the front cover could come off like the iPad smart cover for instant...

I'd be all over that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love having my smart cover... but then i'm reading a book or have it sitting on a stand on my desk, i just remove the cover....

i'd love to be able to that that with my phone!

(i did find one folio on amazon that actually had a hole cut out of the cover so when you flipped it around to the back it didn't block the camera lenses... too bad the cases themselves were unattractive IMO!)

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I'd be all over that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love having my smart cover... but then i'm reading a book or have it sitting on a stand on my desk, i just remove the cover....

i'd love to be able to that that with my phone!

(i did find one folio on amazon that actually had a hole cut out of the cover so when you flipped it around to the back it didn't block the camera lenses... too bad the cases themselves were unattractive IMO!)

Yeah I would be all over that too if I could find one. That was what I was looking for on my iPhone X last year without any luck. Yeah I don't think that case would be too pretty with a hole in it lol.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I ordered this one from Nomad...

https://hellonomad.com/collections/cases-for-iphone-xs-max/products/rugged-folio-rustic-brown-xs-max

855848007700_B_180x.jpg
855848007700_E_180x.jpg
855848007700_C_180x.jpg

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Nomads are the worst ... made out of plastic where it holds your phone, one drop and it shatters .... that’s why I like apple, it’s the same leather as the standard cases but in folio style ....

I wish the apple folio case can stand up like the book book case and also have a removable cover for times when we don't need the wallet part. Kind of like the iPad smart case/cover combo.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I wish the apple folio case can stand up like the book book case and also have a removable cover for times when we don't need the wallet part. Kind of like the iPad smart case/cover combo.

I agree, I hate that the apple case doesn’t have a strap of some sort so I could secure the flap from sagging if I mount it, or swinging when I need it to

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I like a detachable magnetic wallet case. That way you can carry your cc, license etc, keep the screen covered and protected, but can take the phone away from the case to take pics or make calls. This works great for me. I carry it at work out of the case in pocket and put back at end of day. For the X I bought Ideals of Sweden, but the phone case itself is very slick and slippery, so I wont go that route again. I am looking at Navor although there arent any for the Max. Anyone have any others they've tried?

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I like a detachable magnetic wallet case. That way you can carry your cc, license etc, keep the screen covered and protected, but can take the phone away from the case to take pics or make calls. This works great for me. I carry it at work out of the case in pocket and put back at end of day. For the X I bought Ideals of Sweden, but the phone case itself is very slick and slippery, so I wont go that route again. I am looking at Navor although there arent any for the Max. Anyone have any others they've tried?
I never saw the Ideals of Sweden cases before. Is their wallet compatible with wireless charging? Did you notice the magnets affected the camera in any way?

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I never saw the Ideals of Sweden cases before. Is their wallet compatible with wireless charging? Did you notice the magnets affected the camera in any way?
I never tried wireless charging. Everything else has been fine, I have been using since I first got my X at launch. I really like these detachable/removable wallet cases. I did find the actual case though to be quite slick and slippery, so for these reason I'm not going to go with this for my XS Max. No problems at all with the magnets affecting the camera and I use it constantly at my work place.

Reactions: darrinS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.