Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
I’ve just upgraded to a mini6.
In the past I’ve always had a smartcover and loved them but you can’t get them for the 6.
What does the smart folio offer over a cheap case/cover?

The smartcover just covered the screen and was just what I needed.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Who knows why Apple changed the design to cover front and back, but it connects magnetically so it’s still easy to take on and off. I’m more mystified why they don’t do an iteration of the Moshi versacover. The versacover is connected to a case though, which is a turnoff for me.

Reactions: boxxyfied

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
The smartcover connecting by magnets was great, but why is that an advantage if it’s a case? I’ve paid £8 for a case, what does the Smartfolio give me extra?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
It’s not really a case since the edges are exposed. I think/suspect that Apple reasoned to protect the back as well as the front while being easy to remove. That’s the only advantage over the Smart Cover.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I had the Smart Cover on my mini 2. I prefer the folio on the 6. It smooths out the camera bump; gives good grip on both sides when carrying; and I can close it whenever I take it fully off the iPad and put it on a table, keeping dirt or whatever off the inside.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I’ve just upgraded to a mini6.
In the past I’ve always had a smartcover and loved them but you can’t get them for the 6.
What does the smart folio offer over a cheap case/cover?

The smartcover just covered the screen and was just what I needed.
The lack of a smartcover for the Mini 6 is a significant reason why I'm sticking with the Mini 5. (and why I just picked up an iPad 9)

As for why go with the smart folio over a cheap case (there are no covers)? The smart folio attaches magnetically and easy to remove and it is the thinnest and lightest of all options available.

If I had to buy an iPad that didn't have a smartcover, I'd definitely go for the smart folio. I'd pay full MSRP for it without hesitation.

Who knows why Apple changed the design to cover front and back, but it connects magnetically so it’s still easy to take on and off. I’m more mystified why they don’t do an iteration of the Moshi versacover. The versacover is connected to a case though, which is a turnoff for me.
It's no mystery. Apple ceased providing smartcovers when they introduced camera bumps on the iPad. The back of the folio case goes flush with the camera bump. That's not a coincidence.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
The lack of a smartcover for the Mini 6 is a significant reason why I'm sticking with the Mini 5. (and why I just picked up an iPad 9)

As for why go with the smart folio over a cheap case (there are no covers)? The smart folio attaches magnetically and easy to remove and it is the thinnest and lightest of all options available.

If I had to buy an iPad that didn't have a smartcover, I'd definitely go for the smart folio. I'd pay full MSRP for it without hesitation.

It's no mystery. Apple ceased providing smartcovers when they introduced camera bumps on the iPad. The back of the folio case goes flush with the camera bump. That's not a coincidence.
Thank you, just won one on ebay for £41 which saved me £19.
Wasn’t sure, it you convinced me.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.