Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I recently reinstalled Yosemite onto my MBP, and I now seem to be having strange font issues. First, it seems my time machine back up did not fully restore all of my applications, although I didn't notice anything odd as I restored. However, I didn't pay close attention to the process as it was slated to take a while.

So, I found some applications missing, but instead of restoring again, I figured I would simply download the few missing ones and proceed. However, the fonts in Google Chrome look rather strange, including an apparent lack of boldface typesetting. There is actually a subtle difference between bolded and unbolded, but it is extremely difficult to notice. And regardless it doesn't look correct.

I've run into a similar problem while using MS word. Most of my documents appear to have changed fonts...except name is correct. Comparisons of active MS word documents with PDFs of the same document (created before the reinstallation with fonts embedded) show a clear difference. At one point MS Word prompted me to rebuild the font database (I think), but it had no apparent effect.

I've attached a screenshot to demonstrate the strange near identity of regular/bold fonts currently being displayed on this forum in Google Chrome.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what exactly went wrong and how I might fix it?

Edit: Added comparison screenshot from a different machine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 4.09.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 4.09.09 PM.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 4.14.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 4.14.54 PM.png
    25 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I'll document my solution in case anyone finds it useful in the future.

It turns out that some of my basic fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, etc.) were turned "off" in Font Book. It seems this typically happens when there are duplicate fonts (and thus one of the duplicates is marked "off"), but in my case they were simply marked off with no equivalent alternative available.

By switching them on again and rebooting, my problem seems to have been resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.