Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Hi there,

How is font smoothing on Yomemite compared to Mavericks especially on external displays and non-retina screens? What is the system font?

Thank you very much.

DMojo

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
Would like to know this too. Anyone with an iMac tried Yosemite? Is the font smoothing quality any different to Mavericks?

yeldarbnamdlog

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
I'm running Yosemite on an Early-2011 15-inch MacBook Pro, and the fonts look a tad bit sharper than Mavericks, but I suspect this will be refined in a later build.

davenport4

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
font quality in menus.

The quality of the fonts in menus it highly dependent on the color of your background. Light background looks great. Dark background looks terrible. Steve was a major font quality person and I know he would not be happy with Yosemite's fonts. Hopefully it improves before release.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I refuse to upgrade if the fonts do not look smooth on non-retina displays. Deal killer for me

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I refuse to upgrade if the fonts do not look smooth on non-retina displays. Deal killer for me

Helvetia Neue really looks no worse than Lucida Grande on non-retina displays. It isn't Ultra Light and the tracking makes it easy to read.

At the moment, the WiFi icon is a larger problem on non-retina screens. I find it really difficult to tell if it's showing connected or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.