Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Hello.

My company is now using a flavor of helvetica called "Helvetica Neue LT Std". It's a very versatile typeface with lots of weights (Ranging from Ultra light to Ultra Black and From Condensed to Extended).

The problem is, that when working in Quark (Yeah, I know), i have to scroll through the 52 flavors of that font when changing it to a different type.

This is not a big problem at the production stage using style sheets but it's very time consuming at the creative stage. The way this font is named, typing the font name instead of using menus doesn't speed up selection.

I was wondering if there is a way to split the font into 3 sub-folders (Standard, Extended and Condensed) in Quark.

I am using OS 10.3.9, Quark 6.1 and Suitcase X1 11.0.4.0223

Thanks

Attachments

• fontissue.jpg
    fontissue.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 136

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Oh for the days of Adobe Type Reunion. There may be an equivalent OSX utility out there that may do the same thing, but I haven't heard of one — that's not to say one doesn't exist.

As a temporary workaround, why don't you organise your Helvetica Neue into 3 or more sets within Suitcase and just activate the ones you're likely to need?

Personally speaking, it's rare that I would be using extended and condensed variants within the same document.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Oh for the days of Adobe Type Reunion.

Why Suitcase can't take hints from ATR about work-flows is beyond me. I really miss ATR and ATM.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
As a temporary workaround, why don't you organise your Helvetica Neue into 3 or more sets within Suitcase and just activate the ones you're likely to need?

Thanks for the tip but I usually try to avoid opening/closing sets on a regular basis. Suitcase tends to act strange and "forget" that fonts are open when I open and close sets. I often gave to quit and re-open suitcase and design applications for the fonts to work.

Yep, I really miss ATM. :_(

Suitcase really needs more competition. I feel like they're not trying hard enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.