Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrabti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
Hi folks,

In this hard time with the pandemic it is more important than ever to keep track of our food stock inventory and cut down our food waste, in order to achieve that I’m very happy to introduce to you FoodShiner an iOS app that will help you to know what food you have and where. It also keep track of the quantity of each products and its expiration date and reminds you to use them before they are spoiled.

FoodShiner_appPortrait.jpeg

———————————————

Features include:

- Unlimited number of lists to organize your products the way you want.
- iCloud sync to keep your data-up-to-date between all your devices.
- iCloud sharing so that you can share your lists with family members, friends ...
- SmartLists gives you quick overview of products soon to be expired, items you have already opened, already expired ...
- Quickly add products just by scanning the barcode.
- Notification for each product approaching expiration date.
- Custom product categories.
- Achievements, food waste score.
- Ability to view all the history of consumed / thrown products.
- Full iPadOs support that include slide over, split view, trackpad, context menus and keyboard shortcuts.
- Dark mode support.
- Secure the application with FaceId or TouchId.
- Make backups from in-app settings, backups can be accessed from the Files app.

FoodShiner is a free app and will always stays like that.

You can download the app right now from the following link : https://apps.apple.com/de/app/foodshiner/id1507786821.

If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to answer to this thread, you can also visit the website of the application https://foodshiner.app/ our twitter account in https://twitter.com/foodshiner.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2 and Beards

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Congratulations!

I downloaded it to test out. (I have incidentally been looking for an app in this category for months.) FoodShiner is close to what I'm looking for personally, but it looks fantastic and is feature-rich. Congratulations on the launch — I'm sure it was a lot of work to build.

• Love
Reactions: imrabti and max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Thank you looks great! Going to try it out! Let us know how we can support you and your app!

• Love
Reactions: imrabti

imrabti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
Congratulations!

I downloaded it to test out. (I have incidentally been looking for an app in this category for months.) FoodShiner is close to what I'm looking for personally, but it looks fantastic and is feature-rich. Congratulations on the launch — I'm sure it was a lot of work to build.
I'm really happy to see this App is making an impact and helping you to fulfil your requirement. There will be some more awesome features in the future.

imrabti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
Thank you looks great! Going to try it out! Let us know how we can support you and your app!
Thank you for the kind words, FoodShiner is a free App and some ways to support us is by sharing it with other people who may need it and writing an AppStore review if possible. Maybe on the future we will add a Tip jar if someone would want to give us small tip.

Reactions: max2

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Maybe on the future we will add a Tip jar if someone would want to give us small tip.
I think you should do that anyhow. You know... just in case. :)

I’m sure you have your own development pipeline, but I’d be happy to share my thoughts if you’re interested. Let me know!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
.. I'm curious how the 'scan the barcode' part works.. what is it referencing to know the details of the product? Or put more simply: will this feature work outside the US?

And, the one that always gets interesting answers:

if the app is free, how are you making money on it?

imrabti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
I think you should do that anyhow. You know... just in case. :)

I’m sure you have your own development pipeline, but I’d be happy to share my thoughts if you’re interested. Let me know!

That would be awesome, I’m always looking forward for suggestions and enhancements, you can send us your thoughts to our support@foodshiner.app.

imrabti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
.. I'm curious how the 'scan the barcode' part works.. what is it referencing to know the details of the product? Or put more simply: will this feature work outside the US?

And, the one that always gets interesting answers:

if the app is free, how are you making money on it?
For the product barcode database we use an open source database https://world.openfoodfacts.org/ it is quite a big DB they have a lot of products in Europe and a little bit in US. I didn’t find a barcode DB that is free and open source for US.

This App have a very interesting history, I always get angry that when I get a product from the fridge to find out that is already expired, so I was looking for a long time for an app that will help me in keeping track of food items and most importantly have also the ability to share data between family members using CloudKit (just like in apple note or reminder) I didn’t find any app that fulfills this requirements, and as I was very interested and curious in learning iOS development I took this opportunity to start learning Swift and iOS development by building FoodShiner. It is a side hobby project and my first iOS App to put in AppStore. I don’t make any money from the app (there is no user data collection or anything in that way), I build it for my need and decided to release it free for people to use, I’ll be adding a Tip Jar in the app if someone would like to give a donation.

Reactions: max2 and Stephen.R
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.