Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Hi everyone,
with the new football season about to start, I want to try a football manager game for the first time.
I know there will be new versions coming out soon for the new season, but based on past experiences can anyone recommend one between Football Manager and Championship Manager?

Thanks.

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I agree. Football Manager is actually what used to be called Championship Manager and is the be all and end all of Fitba games. Eidos dumped the developers who turned their game into Football Manager and Eidos made a quick knockup series using the old Championship Manager name. Don't be fooled. FM is played by the very God's themselves!

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Football Manager. Although it isn't perfect.

Football Manager 2008 is said to be out before Christmas.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for the help guys. MIght just pick up 2007 as some places are doing it for £9.99 now that a new one is close.
I've heard that the old versions are better than the new ones, any comments on that?
Also does it work as well on the Mac as on Windows?

lindstrom

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for the help guys. MIght just pick up 2007 as some places are doing it for £9.99 now that a new one is close.
I've heard that the old versions are better than the new ones, any comments on that?
Also does it work as well on the Mac as on Windows?

I would say that it does indeed run just as good on the Mac. I used to play on a PC but have now since 1,5 years been running FM on my Mac. No complaints at all, and I do run it with the largets database size, fair amount of leagues and about 1 gig of user created pictures (club logos, player portaits etc).

As to which version is the better one, I think that 2006 was not very good. But 2007 is, I really like some of the extra features they added like 3 teamtalks in one match for example. I think you will be very pleased if you get FM 2007 and download the lastest patch (to get transfer updates, bug fixes).

£9.99 sounds like a good deal, you will definitly get hourly value out of it, but your every day social life will suffer.

Happy managering =)!

/Erik

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Go for 2007. It's full of little interface touches that make it easier to navigate, and the background processing of all the other matches happens a lot quicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.