Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Dude, the MB weighs 5 pounds--it's a brick (if it wasn't such a brick, I'd already own it). It's about the weight to me, too. And yes, two pounds is a big deal, especially when you're talking about something that weighs 40% less.

Please dont' go into percentages, as they are nearly meaningless in this context. One piece of paper is 50% the weight of two pieces of paper, but the difference is negligible. 5 lbs to 3 lbs is not a big deal. My old laptop, with its extended battery, was 8 pounds. My macbook is 5 pounds. I do not notice a significant difference. It really blows my mind that people are too burdened by 5 pounds.

Still, I haven't played with a MBA yet; perhaps the proof is in the holding (or using).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That's a good point. I'm not sure how much electronics they're stuffing into the bezel, so it may be necessary for the thinness, but it would be nice to be rid of it, if possible.

The screen has to be the same dimensions as the base of the laptop. This and the size of the screen would appear to be the controlling factor in the size of the bezel.

It really blows my mind that people are too burdened by 5 pounds.

Consider your mind blown, then. It blows my mind that anyone would question it.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Consider your mind blown, then. It blows my mind that anyone would question it.

That really blows your mind? That I question people who can't handle a 2 pound increase on something that is carried on their shoulder or in a bag?

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. If Apple announced a 12 inch MBP for 2000, it'd have sold better than the MBA will. Footprint vs thinness does matter. Before the MBA, I can't recall many apple users saying "Man, I wish this computer was half as thin!"

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I guess it depends on what else do you carry. For me, I will be using a sleeve with a strap from Waterfield Designs and I will carry the Air & its adapter in the "piggyback". And thats it.

I am sure if you carry around a crap load of accessories and books and other junk in a big backpack the 2lb difference gets lost in the shuffle but if you are ONLY carrying the laptop and its adapter (which is smaller & lighter on the air anyway) the extra 2lbs will be felt.

I have lugged around a 15.4" system before and it wad heavy. Going to 14.1" made a difference but was still tiring lugging it on my back or shoulder all day (I'd be out morning till evening with it). I am sure the air will feel better still.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
The screen has to be the same dimensions as the base of the laptop. This and the size of the screen would appear to be the controlling factor in the size of the bezel.

There is an equivalent amount of wasted space around the keyboard, so that could go too, and MBP's have a much thinner bezel, so it's not a given that the bezel has to be that big.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That really blows your mind? That I question people who can't handle a 2 pound increase on something that is carried on their shoulder or in a bag?

By what right do you "question people" about such a thing?

There is an equivalent amount of wasted space around the keyboard, so that could go too, and MBP's have a much thinner bezel, so it's not a given that the bezel has to be that big.

I'm assuming that the space under and around the keyboard is where the guts of the machine go. If Apple could have trimmed that space I'm sure they would have.

frogcat

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
I just want say that some people in this thread are really dense. Apple does not tailor specifically to you. Actually Apple probably tailors mostly to your wife. Now ask your wife if she would rather have a 5 pound workhorse, or a 3 pound media-pup.

You wanna know who Apple is targeting as the end user of the Air? Your wife. Because they are the decision makers of the household and the more intuitive sex. Who here would even question a wife's taste in her clothing? No man bothers about women's intuition. They just do their thing, and we'll just buy them macbook airs. Plus, they are the last market to target in computers and electronics. We're all sold on gadgets already. Look how well the ipod did after putting other colors than black and white. Women ate that up, and Apple made billions.

Lastly, 3 pounds is significantly less than 5 when you are carrying some heavy books for hours at a time. Its like rocket science: 5 extra pounds of human accounts for much gallons more of gas. Yes footprint would be really cool if it was decreased, but also remember Apple wanted to price this thing aggressively. I bet if they shaved 1 inch off the dimensions, we'd be paying for a 3000 dollar Air without the SSD.

much love to the complainers in this world. they make sure products get tailored. but remember this product is perfect for so many other people...like women.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I just want say that some people in this thread are really dense. Apple does not tailor specifically to you. Actually Apple probably tailors mostly to your wife. Now ask your wife if she would rather have a 5 pound workhorse, or a 3 pound media-pup.

You wanna know who Apple is targeting as the end user of the Air? Your wife. Because they are the decision makers of the household and the more intuitive sex. Who here would even question a wife's taste in her clothing? No man bothers about women's intuition. They just do their thing, and we'll just buy them macbook airs. Plus, they are the last market to target in computers and electronics. We're all sold on gadgets already. Look how well the ipod did after putting other colors than black and white. Women at that up, and Apple made billions.

Lastly, 3 pounds is significantly less than 5 when you are carrying some heavy books for hours at a time. Its like rocket science: 5 extra pounds of human accounts for much gallons more of gas. Yes footprint would be really cool if it was decreased, but also remember Apple wanted to price this thing aggressively. I bet if they shaved 1 inch off the dimensions, we'd be paying for a 3000 dollar Air without the SSD.

much love to the complainers in this world. they make sure products get tailored. but remember this product is perfect for so many other people...like women.

Gender stereotypes are so 20th century.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I'm assuming that the space under and around the keyboard is where the guts of the machine go. If Apple could have trimmed that space I'm sure they would have.

This is what I assumed. I don't think Apple would put a bezel on it just to have a bezel. It would be nice to have a smaller one, but I'm not sure if it would have been possible.

cliffardo2001

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2003

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. If Apple announced a 12 inch MBP for 2000, it'd have sold better than the MBA will. Footprint vs thinness does matter. Before the MBA, I can't recall many apple users saying "Man, I wish this computer was half as thin!"

As a student who has to walk everywhere on campus and travels a fair amount, my MacbookPro really takes up space amongst my piano books and other class notebooks, etc. Anything to make my bag less bulging is welcome. And yeah, two pounds will make a huge difference for me. That loss of two pounds means less daily stress on my back.

Maui19

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2007
Please dont' go into percentages, as they are nearly meaningless in this context. One piece of paper is 50% the weight of two pieces of paper, but the difference is negligible. 5 lbs to 3 lbs is not a big deal. My old laptop, with its extended battery, was 8 pounds. My macbook is 5 pounds. I do not notice a significant difference. It really blows my mind that people are too burdened by 5 pounds.

Still, I haven't played with a MBA yet; perhaps the proof is in the holding (or using).

All I can tell you about weight is when I'm toting stuff around an airport, I really feel the weight of my (5.6 lb) Powerbook G4. Taking 2-1/2 pounds out of that backpack would be a big deal, and make it much more comfortable to carry around on my shoulder. It's not about how much I can carry, it's about how much I want to carry, and in an airport or traveling around a city, I want to carry as little as possible.

frogcat

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Gender stereotypes are so 20th century.

I don't know if that was supposed to be witty, but I'm sure that the electronics market is moving towards a female-focus. It just makes sure that the product is aesthetically pleasing and intuitive, for ALL users.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple does not tailor specifically to you.

This is exactly the point I've made in other discussions about the MBA. Simply because the MBA isn't 100% geek-compliant, some will insist that it's a product nobody should need or want, and if they do, then maybe there's something not quite right in their heads. I'm always amazed to hear this argument made with a straight face, but it has been over and over again.

The really amazing thing is that several PC-makers sell subnotebook computers which to my eye offer few to no advantages over the approach Apple has taken with the MBA, including price. Maybe there's something wrong in the heads of the people buy them too.

moreAAPLplz

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Until you've actually owned an ultraportable, you can't imagine how great they are if you're a person on the go. I owned a Sharp MM-10. It was super thin, had a small footprint, and no optical drive. I never missed an optical drive (seriously, they're for people who buy records, tapes, or cds and not living in the 21st century). We're in the wireless world, embrace it.

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2003
Unless a pound or so of weight makes a tremendous difference for you, it is the footprint that really matters with respect to ultraportables.

Wrong.

Have you ever owned an ultraportable before? The reality is that there are only three general footprint sizes that matter:

1) pocket-size
2) bigger than pocket-size, smaller than a typical sheet of paper or folder
3) bigger than a typical sheet of paper or folder

The MBA and other ultraportables fit in #2. It doesn't matter how the footprint varies within these constraints -- a very small but not pocketable laptop will STILL require you to carry a bag. The bag must have a size to match the footprint of your papers and folders, so anything smaller is not noticeable and provides zero benefit.

The slight increase in situations where the smaller footprint makes sense is counterbalanced by the fact that working on the small screen/keyboard is a chore practically 100% of the time.

So, with the MBA clearly designed to fit into footprint category #2, the design makes sense:

-largest screen possible
-largest keyboard possible
-smallest dimensions possible that still allow for the above (thickness is the only dimension to work with)
-lightest weight possible while retaining the use of high quality materials

In practice, I believe that the above design strategy results in a portable that is optimal for the majority of users.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
The Macbook Air is sexy, but I couldn't justify the price for my needs.

I chose a Macbook SR 2.2 because:

1. Same footprint and it's still thin.
2. Macbook is not that much heavier, 3 vs. 5lbs?
3. I wanted a SATA HD >100GB
4. I wanted 4GB
5. Superdrive being built in is a must.

Things I love about the MBA

1. Aluminum shell, but I do like the White.
2. The thickness is more of a cool factor for me.
3. LED backlit.
4. Backlit keys
5. Multitouch

For me, it was too much of a sacrifice of features and price just to shave off some thickness and 2 lbs. The opened laptop on my lap is still the same size.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Ok, 2 pounds more. 32 oz ... who cares? I'm sure if you put together all the extra stuff you will need to cart around with you it will more than make up for those 2 pounds.

You lose a tremendous amount of capability for those 2 pounds. Especially with something that has the same footprint as the MB.

If you're carrying around all that stuff with your computer then you just don't "get it." I have an iBook G4, and when I carry it around I carry *only* the computer, plus whatever other stuff I need in my bag (pens, books, etc.). I take no accessories, not even a power adapter. The battery will suffice during the 4 hours or so when I'm out of the house. Then I plug the computer back in when I get home, and I'm good to go for the next day.

I will often not even bring my power brick when I take weekend trips. I use the computer for a couple hours total to check email, the weather, and so on, and that's it. If I can easily fit everything, including my computer, into just one carry-on bag, that makes my trip that much more pleasant. Cutting two pounds off the weight with an MBA would be a welcome bonus.

If all I was going to do was use my computer all weekend, I'd be staying home.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Wrong.

Have you ever owned an ultraportable before? The reality is that there are only three general footprint sizes that matter:

1) pocket-size

The MBA and other ultraportables fit in #2. It doesn't matter how the footprint varies within these constraints -- a very small but not pocketable laptop will STILL require you to carry a bag. The bag must have a size to match the footprint of your papers and folders, so anything smaller is not noticeable and provides zero benefit.

The slight increase in situations where the smaller footprint makes sense is counterbalanced by the fact that working on the small screen/keyboard is a chore practically 100% of the time.

So, with the MBA clearly designed to fit into footprint category #2, the design makes sense:

-largest screen possible
-smallest dimensions possible that still allow for the above (thickness is the only dimension to work with)

In practice, I believe that the above design strategy results in a portable that is optimal for the majority of users.

hey, you can't just make these definitions, categories, logics, reasonings all by yourself and ignore the real world thinking.

Not to mention that MBA does NOT need to be that big to give you the screen and keyboard size you want.

You can't argue the reasoning after you get a result, its backward research.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I don't know if that was supposed to be witty, but I'm sure that the electronics market is moving towards a female-focus. It just makes sure that the product is aesthetically pleasing and intuitive, for ALL users.

What exactly does 'female-focus' mean? If you can explain this without using broad gender stereotypes then I'll accept it. I wasn't trying to be witty, I was just expressing my surprise that we're still boiling down features as 'male' or 'female'. Some women may like certain aesthetic designs, some men may like those designs too. Saying "This product will look good to your wife" is a really broad statement to make.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

I can attest to the truth of this statement, having owned a 12" PowerBook bag that was too small for the computer and virtually anything more than a couple of very thin, letter-sized manila folders.

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
The MBA is very eye appealing! But as for an ultraportable, I was expecting a smaller footprint. Thin is sexy as all-get-out, I'm very tempted. But a lot of people (like myself) would like to see a 12" MBP and would probably be willing to forgo the Ginsu-like thinness.

As a former Toshiba Libretto 100 ultraportable owner (which I loved though very outdated), I was really hoping the ultraportable rumors were true about an 8"-12" footprint which I know Apple could design just as stunningly as all it's other products. Keeping the keys aluminum of course, he he he.

Perhaps Apple will add a 10" or 11" MBA Light to the lineup in order to compete more closely with the Sony TZ (and other ultraportables) in terms of footprint.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
By what right do you "question people" about such a thing?

What right do I need?

Wrong.

1) pocket-size

-largest screen possible

Where do you come up with this stuff? How can you flat-out call someone "wrong" when all you did was give your own opinion, as if, somehow, it's automatically correct? Your entire argument seems to come down to: footprint doesn't matter, because you'll still have to use a bigger bag to hold your files and folders. Right... all of us wanted a 12 inch powerbook replacement simply because we wanted to use smaller bags. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.