Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
I had to go to work tonight and was unable to see my iPhone 3g through it's LOOOOOONG restore process (~2 hours and it was 1/2 way there)...but I got here and started thinking...

I upgraded my iPhone1 yesterday early using the method described here with the firmware that we now learn was not intended for our iphone. I installed about 700mb worth of apps and did a backup early this morning. Today, I picked up my new 3g and synced it to my pc and chose to restore using the backup I had created this morning...

To those that have gone through this, is there a way to see what version firmware you are using? I only ask because I want to make sure that it's not replacing the firmware that came preloaded on the iPhone 3G. Would you mind checking for me and reporting back for my own peace of mind?

Thanks.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I had to go to work tonight and was unable to see my iPhone 3g through it's LOOOOOONG restore process (~2 hours and it was 1/2 way there)...but I got here and started thinking...

I upgraded my iPhone1 yesterday early using the method described here with the firmware that we now learn was not intended for our iphone. I installed about 700mb worth of apps and did a backup early this morning. Today, I picked up my new 3g and synced it to my pc and chose to restore using the backup I had created this morning...

To those that have gone through this, is there a way to see what version firmware you are using? I only ask because I want to make sure that it's not replacing the firmware that came preloaded on the iPhone 3G. Would you mind checking for me and reporting back for my own peace of mind?

Thanks.

If you already did the restore on the new phone, it used what you d/l yesterday to do the backup, the only real way to be sure is to check on your phone, Settings > General > About and see what version pops up, the out of box version for the 3G phone is 5A345..

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
If you already did the restore on the new phone, it used what you d/l yesterday to do the backup, the only real way to be sure is to check on your phone, Settings > General > About and see what version pops up, the out of box version for the 3G phone is 5A345..

Ugh...that was what I was afraid of.

So how do I go about getting the shipped firmware on my iphone? I'm assuming 'Check for update' won't work.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Actually, now there is a newer version ending in a 7 vs. 5. Click restore in iTunes and it will DL the new software. Mine was ending in 5 out of the box today and when I clicked restore it D/L a new version of 2.0. I think it fixes the yellow issue with the screen.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State

UPDATE: In case anyone is looking, I just wanted to clarify that while the above is helpful, it's not accurate (thanks though FSU :) ) I just check the firmware of my 3G after doing a full restore from my iPhone1 with the "early release" firmware, and my 3G says I have 5A345. So it looks like it didn't erase the firmware that came loaded on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.