Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
0ABF6B34-CB1A-473B-94EB-85474A151751.jpeg

It’s described as a alternate reality story where the space race of the 1960s never ends. Then the first episode throws a zinger up front placing it without doubt solidly in the realm of Alternate Reality. I’m still on Episode One and wondering how intriguing will this story will be, can it be?

I’m reminded of the Philip Dick story, Man in the High Castle, where alternate realities, basically parallel universes exist side by side. That has a lot of intrigue, because both were possibilities, and it was painful watching an America run by Nazis.

Is anyone a fan of this? Would love to hear about it with minimal spoilers.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and mikzn

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Yes. I love this show. Really inventive sci-fi narrative. The production design/CGI/cinematography is movie quality. And Ronald Moore keeps sneaking Star Trek (and other pop culture) easter eggs in. An absolute delight, if you can get over some of the more mundane dramatic housewives scenes.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m now 5 episodes in and liking this. I had to first get over the indignation that the Russians beat us to the moon, and continuously telling myself this is not real, but now that I am acclimated to the series, I am enjoying the characters including the Women of Apollo and can go with the parallel universe nature of this story. :) There are some interesting historical samples that relate to real history and it does a great job of replicating the late 60s-70s. I love all of the astronaut’s Vettes.?

• Love
Reactions: Ar40

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I just started the second season recently. I think it's an incredibly well written and produced show for the most part. The CGI work is excellent- hell, find the opening credits graphics among the best I've seen. The first season got a little too absurd at one moment, but generally stays within the realm of what's reasonably plausible. The alternative history aspect is interesting. For those with a modest knowledge of NASA/space history there's a bunch of easter eggs, so to speak. For example, there was a reference they made to a resupply mission via a Sea Dragon rocket (never created rocket idea of launching a massive rocket directly out of the ocean, which actually solves a lot of problems with assembling and launching such huge rockets on solid ground).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished Season 1, thumbs up!

I just started the second season recently. I think it's an incredibly well written and produced show for the most part. The CGI work is excellent- hell, find the opening credits graphics among the best I've seen. The first season got a little too absurd at one moment, but generally stays within the realm of what's reasonably plausible. The alternative history aspect is interesting. For those with a modest knowledge of NASA/space history there's a bunch of easter eggs, so to speak. For example, there was a reference they made to a resupply mission via a Sea Dragon rocket (never created rocket idea of launching a massive rocket directly out of the ocean, which actually solves a lot of problems with assembling and launching such huge rockets on solid ground).
I agree good show, episodes 9 and 10 were taught. The Episode 10 event seemed on the edge of plausibility, but I could accept the outcome. :D I’m liking how the show zigs with real history.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Half way into season 2. This alternate reality tv show has really gotten excellent as I wonder why 50 years later there is no moon base. ?

F1250A66-CF6E-4965-A634-2865F45D7C8C.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 2:Episode 7: KAL Shootdown in an alternate reality, is still sobering. On the day of the real shoot down, I was flying in the Sea of Japan on a spy mission. ?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I really like these alternate reality shows. It seems logically that the competitive nature would have kicked up the space program like how the smart phone happened. We could have been stuck on Blackberry in an alternative timeline.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished Season 2. Wow, looking forward to Season 3. :)

I really like these alternate reality shows. It seems logically that the competitive nature would have kicked up the space program like how the smart phone happened. We could have been stuck on Blackberry in an alternative timeline.

Nuclear Armageddon, for spoiler purposes I can neither confirm or deny. :D

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Also enjoy this show, any other shows that are similar to it or just recommend (doesn't have to be Sci-Fi). I am almost done with season 2, then I plan on canceling TV+ until I open up the new 4k apple tv later.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just started Season 3, and for a review I rewatched one of the best alternate-reality, pseudo-historical dramas ever, Season 2: Episode 10. Exciting, tense, sad, you could almost believe it happened. :D

Edit: The first two episodes of Season 3 are fantastic.

64F2B751-FAB1-4E18-8F98-80EBD55224F4.png

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow puppet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.