Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Well, that was bloody brilliant wasn’t it?

It was completely unpredictable but also completely believable from every characters perspective. I’m particularly impressed with how well they’ve portrayed that lack of any bad guys or good guys. It’s all just people being people. Utterly fantastic.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The season finale was messy. It was very ambitious, with many thrilling and emotional moments.

Jamestown: For a show titled For All ManKind, these cosmonauts are just too conveniently villainy.
They kill 2 astronauts in cold blood, and when everything is over, go back to their base without even the slightest hint of regret.

Gordo and Tracy was very sad, but also very heroic. I thought their death could've been prevented, however. NASA/Houston didn't even attempt to plead with RFSA/Star City to prevent the nuclear meltdown.

All in all, Jamestown was very exciting and the main course of the episode but even more so was happening on the Dark Side of the Moon: While somewhat predictable,
Ed and Sally's confrontation in the Pathfinder was very dramatic. Ed destroying the Sea Dragon was a bit of a cheat, but very dramatic.

Earth Orbit: Hooray for Danielle!
She has become the hero she craved and deserves. The handshake scene playing over abandoned TV sets was so eery and ominous. I wonder how she will evolve? Maybe succeed Molly as the head of astronauts?

NASA: Margo, oh dear Margo.
The last phone call really frustrated me. I don't want her to become the Soviet asset. Please let her be smart.

Aleida is probably being set up to succeed Margo. Her character was a pleasant surprise, and her brief encounter with Molly was a hoot.

On the next season, I am guessing Ellen will either evolve in to a politician or Ellen Musk (ha!).
Maybe it's Ellen taking steps on Mars?

Earth Proper: Kelly and Karen thankfully resonate much more than Kelly and Danny. I am not entirely sure what the writers are planning with Karen, but Kelly is being developed as one of the central characters for the next season, being the closing narrator and all. While I have many problems with Karen the character, Shantel VanSanten is a fantastic actress.
She looked so helpless and full of regrets at the funeral.

Speaking of Danny, I really feel sorry for two Stevens children. Danny especially worries me.

Reactions: Wackery

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Every time I doubt Ronald D. Moore this happens. The early part of this season was so painfully slow at parts, but all of that slow ramp up paid off in a big way. Very enjoyable end to the season. There were some great dramatic twists and they all felt natural for the characters.

Earth Proper: Kelly and Karen thankfully resonate much more than Kelly and Danny. I am not entirely sure what the writers are planning with Karen, but Kelly is being developed as one of the central characters for the next season, being the closing narrator and all. While I have many problems with Karen the character, Shantel VanSanten is a fantastic actress.
undefined

I really liked they brought the focus back there too. I honestly don't think there are feelings on the Karen side of the Karen/Danny relationship. I think there is more interesting drama in having Danny chasing the unrequited love while Karen goes off and does her own thing. We'll see.

I have a feeling that is Kelly or Danny (maybe both) on Mars.

I also hope they don't turn Margo... by '95 in our timeline the USSR was collapsed and they don't seem to mess with events like that in their timeline.

Did Apple green light this for another season? I hope we don't end up with another 18 month gap.

Reactions: Wackery

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Jamestown: For a show titled For All ManKind, these cosmonauts are just too conveniently villainy.
They kill 2 astronauts in cold blood, and when everything is over, go back to their base without even the slightest hint of regret.

Gordo and Tracy was very sad, but also very heroic. I thought their death could've been prevented, however. NASA/Houston didn't even attempt to plead with RFSA/Star City to prevent the nuclear meltdown.
I thought that was pretty believable and not especially villainy. The Americans shot first and the Americans had one of their men. Perfectly plausible for them both to feel they’re in the right, and also just to not question orders.

Reactions: Diskutant

oreganoinferno

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
Wow, three days since watching, and I'm still chewing.
I never thought I would care so much about TV characters. I'm still devastated about what happened at the end of the Gordo&Tracy act. Maybe Gordo's psychological recovery attempts hit a bit too close to home. Also I can quite relate to Tracy's underdog fight in S1.
I watched Season 1 about five times. And every Season 2 episode at least twice. Loved all of it. But I won't watch them again. And then on the other hand, I can't wait for Season 3 ?

Reactions: mazz0 and Wackery
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.