Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGteh.nterweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
My friend just got a new intel mac. I went over to his house to view this fine quality device and the first thing i see is a Windows XP desktop. Now here's a guy who's been on Mac his whole life. I'm a guy who boots about 10 different OS's, OSX is my primary. I said "awesome, where'd you get the copy of windows?"

"The store."

"How much?"

"$275."

At that point I walked up to him and backhanded him. Never buy the retail version of Windows, always buy the OEM.

The complete Windows XP Pro SP2 is available at tigerdirect.com for 139.99.

Unrelated -- Does the Windows XP Media Center work on mac?

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
OMGteh.nterweb said:
At that point I walked up to him and backhanded him. Never buy the retail version of Windows, always buy the OEM.

MCE 2005 OEM can be found on newegg.com for even less. And yes, I believe that some people have got MCE working. Initially, it didn't install the MCE bits, but I think that has been resolved. Check osx86project.org or onmac.net for the latest details.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
OMGteh.nterweb said:
My friend just got a new intel mac. I went over to his house to view this fine quality device and the first thing i see is a Windows XP desktop. Now here's a guy who's been on Mac his whole life. I'm a guy who boots about 10 different OS's, OSX is my primary. I said "awesome, where'd you get the copy of windows?"

"The store."

"How much?"

"$275."

But with an OEM intstall you can not do an upgrade install. M$ does not offer tech support for it. (they provide updates and that is it). Oh and you are required to have to buy hardware with it. Unless you are buying hardware that you intend to use with the computer you are building it is illegal to OEM install of windows on anything but the with the hardware that was bought with it.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Haha. Like my friend who still doesn't understand ebay and buys a computer for more than double RRP at some store. Doesn't understand computers either :p
So he legally obtained windows why? ;)

OMGteh.nterweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Timepass said:
But with an OEM intstall you can not do an upgrade install. M$ does not offer tech support for it. (they provide updates and that is it). Oh and you are required to have to buy hardware with it. Unless you are buying hardware that you intend to use with the computer you are building it is illegal to OEM install of windows on anything but the with the hardware that was bought with it.

Windows upgrades are always messy, leaving behind remnants that slow you down. Also, remember that we're on a mac form, nobody's upgrading here, it's a full install. As far as tech support goes, that's what the interweb is for, there's nothing that a MS rep. can answer that a google search can't. Besides, once again, we're talkin' mac here, I doubt MS is gonna help you install windows on your mac. Still all that doesn't matter since OEM comes with full support

As far as the legality goes, it only has to be shipped with hardware, other than that, it's the same as any other copy of windows. You don't have to buy anything with it as TigerDirect doesn't really care, i've bought several copies of windows from them. You still have a COA label and full license. There’s a bit of twisting the law there, but MS can’t do anything about it.

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
SE London
OMGteh.nterweb said:
Windows upgrades are always messy, leaving behind remnants that slow you down. Also, remember that we're on a mac form, nobody's upgrading here, it's a full install. As far as tech support goes, that's what the interweb is for, there's nothing that a MS rep. can answer that a google search can't. Besides, once again, we're talkin' mac here, I doubt MS is gonna help you install windows on your mac. Still all that doesn't matter since OEM comes with full support

There's nothing that an MS rep can answer at all. Trust me, before I switched MS tech support was one of my most dialed numbers and they never helped me with any of the problems. On the last call I made (about a virus) I just gave up and said "**** you lot, I'm buying a Mac"

OMGteh.nterweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
satans_banjo said:
... said "**** you lot, I'm buying a Mac"

Yeah, and see, you don't even need tech support, or a copy of Windows for that matter, to call and tell them that. In fact you we should all call them right now and say "**** YOU CRACKA!!!"

Windows is a homogeneous mix of win and fail, Mac is purely win.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Timepass said:

Dude you can buy almost anything for your computer thats hardware. I bought extra thumb screws and qualified last year. Just head out to Micro Center or Frys.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
paperinacup said:
Dude you can buy almost anything for your computer thats hardware. I bought extra thumb screws and qualified last year. Just head out to Micro Center or Frys.
Better yet, if you buy it from NewEgg.com you automatically get a cable splitter for free.

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
Yeah I just got back from Frys where I bought a $7 NIC Card and got WINXP Home OEM for $99
Not bad
I do feel a little dirty buying windows though.
NEED.... TO...TAKE.....SHOWER!!

dbassett

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
(XP) Xtra Problems on MAC

We should all go buy stock in MS and hold it for about year while all us MAC users buy (XP) Xtra Problems. AT least we'd get something good out of it.
Perhaps (XP) Xtra Patients!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.