Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
First time in my life, I dropped the iPhone 12 Pro and the back glass is completely smashed. Exposing the wireless charging coils and camera glass is also kind shuttered.

Since this is iPhone 12 Pro, warranty is long expired. Apple is charging 350$ and some phone repair store quoting 120-150 Canadian.

I needed up putting tapes over shuttered glass and put a new case.

Just curious, how many of you guys will actually spend money to fix back glass?
IMG_0005.jpeg

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
With that level of damage, dust will quickly enter and settle on the camera lens.

I am thinking to purchase a heat gun and back glass to fix it myself. Not sure if this is a good idea lol.

I have watched tons of YouTube videos about fixing back glass. Replacing whole back case seems beyond my ability.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I am thinking to purchase a heat gun and back glass to fix it myself. Not sure if this is a good idea lol.

I have watched tons of YouTube videos about fixing back glass. Replacing whole back case seems beyond my ability.

Please let us know how it turns out. Pictures if you can!

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
I have always kept all the different iPhones I have owned In cases myself I do have Apple care but I just don’t feel like spending money on a broken phone that a case could have saved from being busted up!

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have always kept all the different iPhones I have owned In cases myself I do have Apple care but I just don’t feel like spending money on a broken phone that a case could have saved from being busted up!
I even order a case before taking delivery of a new phone. If I cant decide on a case I order a cheap clear one from eBay for £5 until I find one that I like.

Reactions: Tills13

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
I even order a case before taking delivery of a new phone. If I cant decide on a case I order a cheap clear one from eBay for £5 until I find one that I like.
Cool for me I have always used otter box defender cases for all my iPhones they have protected my phones from many unexpected falls😁

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020

I have always put on a case and put screen protector. This is first time I smashed the phone, lol. I don’t think Apple Care would helped in this case, since this is iPhone 12 Pro and it is like closing to 4 years old.

I blame the case, it is the thin case brought from Amazon. It doesn’t do good job in protecting the phone!

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I too cracked my very first phone, the 12 Pro Max after 15+ years of owning phones. I used it cracked carefully for about 9 months waiting for the 15 Pro Max.

Now have upgraded and gotten AppleCare+ and Andar cases coming soon.

It's a sign OP! Upgrade and never look back! The 12 series has radiation too apparently. Another reason to upgrade 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Macalicious2011

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I too cracked my very first phone, the 12 Pro Max after 15+ years of owning phones. I used it cracked carefully for about 9 months waiting for the 15 Pro Max.

Now have upgraded and gotten AppleCare+ and Andar cases coming soon.

It's a sign OP! Upgrade and never look back! The 12 series has radiation too apparently. Another reason to upgrade 🤣

For all you guys. If I am going to change phones, should I go for iPhone 13 Pro 256GB or iPhone 14 Pro 128GB? I can get them for similar price. I am not thinking new iPhone 15 Pro as it is still way out of my price budget and it isn’t much big of upgrade anyway.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
We will not fix my sister's 12's backglass because it isn't as bad as yours.

If that was my sisters phone, I definitely would get it fixed asap...

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

If the device has decent storage (256GB or 512GB) and there's no other damage, it's still got a few years of life. I'd do the repair for $150.

Right now, you can't even use your cameras properly. If you mess up the repair, Apple probably won't touch it even for battery service.

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Yikes, that's a hard one. If you are still satisfied with the functions and abilities of your 12 Pro, maybe consider having a third-party replace the backglass for ~$120 if you think that means you will use your phone for at least another year or so. It would mean you're just spending $10 per month to use the phone for at least another year if not more.

I don't think I would spend the $350 that Apple is asking for though. If that were my only option, I would put that money towards a new phone, unless I also cannot afford a new phone in which case then repair is the only option or duct tape.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
For all you guys. If I am going to change phones, should I go for iPhone 13 Pro 256GB or iPhone 14 Pro 128GB? I can get them for similar price. I am not thinking new iPhone 15 Pro as it is still way out of my price budget and it isn’t much big of upgrade anyway.
In that case what's more important to you: more storage or whatever whiz bang feature that the 14 Pro has that the 13 Pro doesn't?

To me, storage is more important. I have a 256GB 12 Pro and I'm realizing that in some years, I will likely find the storage to not be enough and would want more. If 128GB is storage space that gives you more than enough room for your needs, then sure why not go for 14 Pro then?

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
That depends on your needs.
What’s the storage on your current phone?
Do you care about Notch vs Dynamic Island?
Do you have any interest in a 48 megapixel camera?
And given that your current phone doesn’t have 60 Hz, if you don’t use the zoom lens definitely give the regular 15 and 15+ a look.
They pretty much have all the benefits of the 14 Pro minus pro motion and a 3X lens, but you can get them brand new for about the same as a used 14 Pro.
Plus, then you can get Apple Care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.