Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laorulez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
I currently use an iPhone SE that I purchased in June 2016. The battery is still doing great. How do I insure that I will need a battery replacement within the next year to take advantage of the battery replacement deal that Apple has going on? Thanks.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
What's important is charge cycles. The battery can only cycle so many times. If possible, charge 2 times a day by charging to 100% and depleting it to under 10% every day twice you will reach that sub 80% health... but the program is for 6/Plus 6s/Plus. I don't believe SE was in the program.

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Do you just want to get something for cheap or what's the point of this? If you're worried you will need a new battery right after the deal ends, maybe take it in during late next December and see if you qualify. But to purposely run it down to save $50 is confusing to me.

laorulez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
charge cycles. the battery can only cycle so many times. if you can charge 2 times a day by charging to 100% and depleting it to under 10% every day twice you will reach that sub 80% health

Okay great, I haven't seen anybody else discussing this to try and take advantage of the deal.
Do you just want to get something for cheap or what's the point of this? If you're worried you will need a new battery right after the deal ends, maybe take it in during late next December and see if you qualify. But to purposely run it down to save $50 is confusing to me.

Yeah now that you mention it, you are right. It is probably a silly idea. Also, since I bought it in the summer of 2016, I haven't even been charging it every day, so I don't think it is anywhere close to being below the 80% threshold, or whatever it is that they use as their standard. I'll probably just use it as usual and what happens...

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
My advice is just enjoy your phone. I have a SE and I can go two days between a charge. To run it down enough to have to charge it twice a day from 10% to 100% would take a concerted effort.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I suggest that you hire 3 students to use your phone continuously in 8 hour shifts. By next December, you will have racked up an additional 1,000+ battery cycles. If you can negotiate a deal with the students to work for $5/hr, you should be able to keep the cost of this project under $44K.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I currently use an iPhone SE that I purchased in June 2016. The battery is still doing great. How do I insure that I will need a battery replacement within the next year to take advantage of the battery replacement deal that Apple has going on? Thanks.

the program announced by apple does not call for apple to make a decision on whether or not they will decide to replace the battery. if you want it replaced, have a model that is defined in the scope of the program, and pay the (in USA) USD 29 fee, they will replace it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
the program announced by apple does not call for apple to make a decision on whether or not they will decide to replace the battery. if you want it replaced, have a model that is defined in the scope of the program, and pay the (in USA) USD 29 fee, they will replace it.
To be fair, unless we are talking about some newer information that has been made available, the letter they posted only referenced that the price of the out-of-warranty battery replacement would be less for iPhone 6 and later models through the end of next year, it doesn't seem to reference any changes to the criteria or other requirements associated with the out-of-warranty battery replacement, simply that the price will be cheaper for certain phones for a certain period of time.

Last edited:

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
To be fair, unless we are talking about some newer information that has been made available, the letter they posted only referenced that the price of the out-of-warranty battery replacement would be less for iPhone 6 and later models though the end of next year, it doesn't seem to reference any changes to the criteria or other requirements associated with the out-of-warranty battery replacement, simply that the price will be cheaper for certain phones for a certain period of time.

hi you are right.
i am betting however that apple won't turn away any person with a device that nominally falls under the program.
its not about number of cycles, its about the battery when not having a great deal of charge left being programmed to not shut down by throttling its processor speed.

laorulez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
If they charge you $79 to replace your battery no matter what the condition it is in, which is what they do, shouldn't they charge you the $29 then, no matter what condition it is in?

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
The iPhone SE should be capable of receiving same treatment, whilst it is not a big phone by all means it has the A9 chip same in the iPhone 6S so it would qualify. Things that don't usually qualify for this treatment are: 5C/5S/4S/4/3GS/3G/2...
[doublepost=1514780011][/doublepost]
If they charge you $79 to replace your battery no matter what the condition it is in, which is what they do, shouldn't they charge you the $29 then, no matter what condition it is in?

you can request it, since its out of warranty replacement they are assuming you are doing a battery replacement out of warranty. they can't dismiss you as it's not like you tampered your phone while it's under warranty XD

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I don’t see how Apple can jack the price back up after this year, especially if the battery limitations that prompted them to introduce the throttling in the first place persists.
[doublepost=1514683336][/doublepost]

That would include the SE.

But, but... it has a lower number (i.e. no number).

(whoops)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.