Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ebok

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
My iPhone thinks my friend has an iPhone and it won’t send texts.

Once it sent, it goes to “delivered” right away but he doesn’t get anything.

My friend does not have an iPhone and hasn’t had one in years. This started a few days ago when I got a replacement device.

I don’t wanna restore again so hopefully someone has a solution. Things I tried:

- told him to unreg his # with apple
- deleted contact
- deleted message thread
- restarted my phone

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Send him that link to enter his number then confirmation code to force it to deregister iMessage

It’s not your device, it’s not Apple and it’s your friend’s fault for not signing out of iMessage before switching to Android.
Seems like based on what's in the OP that has already been done and the friend hasn't even had an iPhone (and I assume hasn't used iMessage) in years.

Reactions: Peter K.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
In the UK at least mobile numbers get recycled after a period of non-use. If your friend has only gotten that number recently it’s possible a different person was receiving iMessages on that number.

Reactions: DeanL

cra19j

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Qld, Australia
I had the same problem texting a friend with a Google Pixel 2 - when I took my iPhone into Apple and showed them, they suggested sending the text again, and the second time it went as an SMS. It had to be sent as a new text, because the first one showed it as iMessage and delivered, even though it never arrived. I haven't had the problem occur again.

Ebok

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Send him that link to enter his number then confirmation code to force it to deregister iMessage

It’s not your device, it’s not Apple and it’s your friend’s fault for not signing out of iMessage before switching to Android.

Perhaps you should read the whole post.

But thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

This literally happened out of no where
[doublepost=1543574532][/doublepost]
Did you turn on the option to send as sms when iMessage is unavailable?

It says iMessage is available. It even says delivered but to what device? Who knows

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
Perhaps you should read the whole post.

But thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

This literally happened out of no where
[doublepost=1543574532][/doublepost]

It says iMessage is available. It even says delivered but to what device? Who knows

The poster means do you have ‘send as SMS’ on in your message settings.

Ebok

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
The poster means do you have ‘send as SMS’ on in your message settings.

I do, but that doesn’t mean anything when the message gets sent. Messages show as delivered but he has no iOS or MacOS devices, trying to figure out which device it’s getting delivered to

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you turn off iMessage, then send them a text, then turn it on again, maybe that'll work?
That might be wroth a try. Might even be good to delete the existing conversation and start a new one (if possible) in that scenario.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Tried it.

It’s not just my phone it’s multiple phones with different numbers doing the same thing.

So if what you're saying is that different people with iPhones are having the same issue, by the laws of obviousness, your friend's phone number is the issue. And as other people said, if it says "Delivered", that means another device is getting the texts because delivered means a device has acknowledged the receipt of the message.

Reactions: jdogg836

Ebok

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
So if what you're saying is that different people with iPhones are having the same issue, by the laws of obviousness, your friend's phone number is the issue. And as other people said, if it says "Delivered", that means another device is getting the texts because delivered means a device has acknowledged the receipt of the message.

Ya I know that but he’s trying to figure out which device that is..

It’s apples fault if he didn’t register his number to a device and it was registered some other way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.