Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wanting to take a 32Gb for son on holiday so space is a premium.

I’ve tried to look at specs etc, but very confusing. The files will only be used on the iPad for the plane.

We have iVi from MAS which has presets but the file sizes are still large. I was hoping it would shrink the sizes a bit.

What is minimum to use, resolution, bit rate to get decent enough to watch on the iPad only

Thanks

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
I am not sure of the specs off hand, but Handbrake has presets for different devices so it might be the way to get the video sizes down.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I am not sure of the specs off hand, but Handbrake has presets for different devices so it might be the way to get the video sizes down.

Yeh iVi has presets for a lot of Apple devices, I ran a few through, stepped down to an older Apple device but the file size hasn’t changed much.

I’m just wondering if it needs more messing. As in pointless having more resolution 1080P/4K etc if the iPad can’t show. I don’t confess to know a lot as always used presets really. It’s just I want to cram as much as I can on.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
How long are the videos? A feature length movie requires about 4GB in a DVD type resolution. Otherwise it is an experiment exercise. Slide the bit rate value (quality value) down until the video becomes unwatchable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.