Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary Kline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2024
Hi, I'm sure this has been discussed a ton already but question, I'm not a Mac person so really don't know much about specs etc.

My daughter is in college and doing graphic arts, UI/UX etc. Mostly Creative Suite (non-video work). She currently has an old mid-2012 MBP but it's slow (to the point where she uses the college's computers a lot)

We're trying to keep the cost modest at this time. She'd prefer the large (15-16") screen. Is a MBP 2019 16" i9 2.3 with 32GB and 4GB 5500M enough to run Illustrator and Photoshop especially at a reasonable speed. Again, doesn't need to be pro level, she's a student, but of course we're looking for an obvious difference from here 2012 MBP. All the news seems to be about how the Apple chips blow the Intels away but for a student, would the Intel i9 still be acceptable for her use case?

Mac mini power user

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Leuven, Belgium
I'd go for a refurbished M1 Pro with 32 GB RAM or an M1 Max (if it fits within your budget). At this point I advise against getting any Intel Mac unless you can get it at a seriously lower price (let's say 400 dollars or more) than a machine with equivalent RAM and storage. In terms of longevity too, an M1 Pro or M1 Max MacBook Pro is simple a superior investment.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It would help if you told us what price you were planning to pay for the machine you quoted. Then we could tell you if there are better alternatives at the same price.

While the i9 MBP will certainly perform the tasks you mentioned, if it's at all possible to get a comparable Apple Silicon Mac, it would probably be better.

Gary Kline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2024
Thanks everyone for the advise above! I'm looking to try and keep it around the $1000 or so number for a used system. (if that's possible - I'm really out of my element! LoL!)

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Thanks everyone for the advise above! I'm looking to try and keep it around the $1000 or so number for a used system. (if that's possible - I'm really out of my element! LoL!)
I know this is probably a bit more than you’d want to pay but I think it would be about what you’re looking for. Maybe a bit more RAM but I don’t think with Apple Silicon that’s a requirement for things like graphic design or PS. With the 512GB SSD she’ll have plenty of speed to use memory swap if it’s really needed. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G18N2LL/A/refurbished-15-inch-macbook-air-apple-m2-chip-with-8‑core-cpu-and-10‑core-gpu-space-gray

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Hi, I'm sure this has been discussed a ton already but question, I'm not a Mac person so really don't know much about specs etc.

My daughter is in college and doing graphic arts, UI/UX etc. Mostly Creative Suite (non-video work). She currently has an old mid-2012 MBP but it's slow (to the point where she uses the college's computers a lot)

We're trying to keep the cost modest at this time. She'd prefer the large (15-16") screen. Is a MBP 2019 16" i9 2.3 with 32GB and 4GB 5500M enough to run Illustrator and Photoshop especially at a reasonable speed. Again, doesn't need to be pro level, she's a student, but of course we're looking for an obvious difference from here 2012 MBP. All the news seems to be about how the Apple chips blow the Intels away but for a student, would the Intel i9 still be acceptable for her use case?
I tried the 2019 i9 because of the huge price drop when the M1's came out. I had many issues with it and thankfully it was covered by AppleCare+. The logic board failed twice, and display failed once. I sent it to apple for repair 3 times within a year for these problems. I agree with the others that your daughter would benefit much more with a modern mac, especially doing graphic arts, M1 or M2 should work fine for her needs. It might cost a bit more than the used 2019's but trust me, whatever great deal you get on the 2019 is really not worth it.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Please don't buy an Intel MacBook in 2024, especially for someone else. i9 is going to run hot, have a bad battery life, and will be beat by basically even the cheapest Apple Silicon machine.

MacMore

Suspended
Jan 4, 2024
(avoiding the first generation touchbar M1 MacBook Pro) you can get used examples of M1 Macbook Pro's or Airs, even with 16gb of RAM.

I've done some fairly intensive work including Photoshop working on files that are gigabytes in size, and Premiere even doing ProRes 4:4:4 output (which is slow) but 4:2:2 is fine...

Overall I'd say that the RAM isn't the limitation but the hard disk size is especially for swap files.

You will want a large external hard drive. Thankfully you can get 4TB external hard drives and up for backup for next to nothing.

I would advise that's your best option.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Get a 15” M2 Air with 16-24GB of RAM and you’re set. That 2019 MBP is a piece of junk imo. Hot, noisy and weak battery life. She’ll be much happier with the Air.
We are talking Adobe Creative Suite work. Image work apps use lots of RAM, more than 16-24 GB. An M2 MBA with 24 GB RAM will not be optimal for CS but will likely work about as well or better than an older Intel box with 32 GB RAM, and will fly compared to the 2012 box, which is not appropriate for Creative Suite work. And like others have said, in 2024 it does not make sense to be buying old Intel silicon because the Mac OS moving forward is optimizing for Apple silicon (M-series chips).

Check out student pricing through the uni student store.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
(avoiding the first generation touchbar M1 MacBook Pro) you can get used examples of M1 Macbook Pro's or Airs, even with 16gb of RAM.

I've done some fairly intensive work including Photoshop working on files that are gigabytes in size, and Premiere even doing ProRes 4:4:4 output (which is slow) but 4:2:2 is fine...

Overall I'd say that the RAM isn't the limitation but the hard disk size is especially for swap files.
The statement that "the RAM isn't the limitation but the hard disk size is" is flat wrong, and I recommend that the OP disregard it. RAM is the limitation, and driving the computer to be swapping to disk is to be minimized. Note also that in 2024 no user should have had a hard disk drive (HDD) on a computer for more than a decade. All Macs should have a solid state drive (SSD) as boot disk.

HDDs should only be used for backup purposes, if then.

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
MacBook Pro 14".

She's gonna get tired lugging a 16" MBP around all day, every day.

I didn’t for the 15 inch 2015 mbp. I haven’t really used the new 14s, but I needed the extra screen real estate and It really wasn’t bad. Had it in a backpack. Along with books. Really didn’t notice the difference in weight with the books and without.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I teach these classes on a university issued base M1 Air. Works absolutely perfectly for what would be covered on most degrees. 90% of my students also use an air. I would then recommended a larger screen she can plug in to when working back in her room.

Reactions: Moreplease

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
To answer your original question, yes that Intel MBP will be fine for a college student. If it is a 2019 16", instead of a 15" sold in 2019, it will have the updated and improved keyboard.

I think you should try to reach for a 14" M1-Pro MacBook Pro, and if you go for Amazon refurbished (renewed) you can add a 4 year insurance for $200. I think that that M1-Pro with 16GB RAM will feel faster than an older Intel one with 32GB Ram (even while running Photoshop) and it will run nearly silent even under load which is very nice when you are trying to concentrate. Ask one of the college design professors what they thing, but with UX she will be spending a lot of time using Figma (not Adobe XD), and the thing about Figma is that even the app is basically a browser and that browser has a hard RAM limit so more RAM does nothing. It's possible you might be able to find a used M1-Pro with 32GB RAM, or a used M1-Max which came with 32GB RAM, and you can probably get 3rd party insurance like Squaretrade for that. The M1-Pro will also have better battery life than the older Intel one.

I know she wants a larger 16" laptop screen, but she will really appreciate the lighter weight of the 14" when going to class and you can always get an inexpensive used external display for her dorm room. Also don't discount the benefits of MagSafe when she is plugged in around other tired students while will (not maybe) trip over her power cord.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I didn’t for the 15 inch 2015 mbp. I haven’t really used the new 14s, but I needed the extra screen real estate and It really wasn’t bad. Had it in a backpack. Along with books. Really didn’t notice the difference in weight with the books and without.
I fully agree, and mine was maximum-heavy 17" MBP. I too needed the extra screen real estate and It really wasn’t bad. Had it in a backpack. Along with books.

The exception is those students who type their class notes into a tiny laptop (uni desks are small) in real time in class. Those folks need small as possible and a large display in their dorm rooms.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
To answer your original question, yes that Intel MBP will be fine for a college student. If it is a 2019 16", instead of a 15" sold in 2019, it will have the updated and improved keyboard.

I think you should try to reach for a 14" M1-Pro MacBook Pro, and if you go for Amazon refurbished (renewed) you can add a 4 year insurance for $200. I think that that M1-Pro with 16GB RAM will feel faster than an older Intel one with 32GB Ram (even while running Photoshop) and it will run nearly silent even under load which is very nice when you are trying to concentrate. Ask one of the college design professors what they thing, but with UX she will be spending a lot of time using Figma (not Adobe XD), and the thing about Figma is that even the app is basically a browser and that browser has a hard RAM limit so more RAM does nothing. It's possible you might be able to find a used M1-Pro with 32GB RAM, or a used M1-Max which came with 32GB RAM, and you can probably get 3rd party insurance like Squaretrade for that. The M1-Pro will also have better battery life than the older Intel one.

I know she wants a larger 16" laptop screen, but she will really appreciate the lighter weight of the 14" when going to class and you can always get an inexpensive used external display for her dorm room. Also don't discount the benefits of MagSafe when she is plugged in around other tired students while will (not maybe) trip over her power cord.
The OP should be forward-looking and make the sacrifices necessary to get the student into Apple M-series silicon instead of an old Intel Mac which is being deprecated.

Also you say
"...don't discount the benefits of MagSafe when she is plugged in around other tired students while will (not maybe) trip over her power cord."

MagSafe was huge when it first came out because we all needed to be plugged in a lot due to limiting batteries. And previous power connections were problematic in multiple ways, including "students will (not maybe) trip over her power cord." But that is no longer true today. Batteries in M-series Mac laptops easily last all day, so they can get by with just being safely plugged in at night. Mac laptops no longer need to be constantly made into trip hazards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
I’m selling my 14” M1 Pro 16/1Tb for $1,300. According to the people on Appleswap, they can be had for $1k. I can attest that the M1 Pro is miles faster than any intel.

Before I had my 14”, I used a 13” air with 16GB for Lightroom and Indesign. I had no issues and it worked great, contrary to what some here will say. If she can sacrifice the screen real estate, a M1 MacBook Air with 16GB of RAM would be great. The only reason I moved was for dual monitor support. Seems you can get it pretty comfortably under $1,000 with 1TB

People will race to mention the lack of fan but except for video, you’re not really doing any sustained loads and will be fine.

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Your main options with a large screen are all good ones.
The choice depends on your budget and how high do you think the chances are of her losing or breaking the MacBook.

1. A new base M2 MacBook Air 15" is $1,400. With the education discount it's around $1,260. It has lower 8GB RAM, but she probably won't notice any difference. It will last at least 5 years, maybe 7. Extra benefit is that it's lighter.
2. A used 2019 MacBook Pro 16" i9/i7 16/32GB for $1,000 or ideally $900 is also great. A capable machine and will easily last her around 3-4 years.

Having laid it all out like this, it's clear that the base 15" MacBook Air with the education discount is a better long-term value.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Your main options with a large screen are all good ones.
The choice depends on your budget and how high do you think the chances are of her losing or breaking the MacBook.

1. A new base M2 MacBook Air 15" is $1,400. With the education discount it's around $1,260. It has lower 8GB RAM, but she probably won't notice any difference. It will last at least 5 years, maybe 7. Extra benefit is that it's lighter.
2. A used 2019 MacBook Pro 16" i9/i7 16/32GB for $1,000 or ideally $900 is also great. A capable machine and will easily last her around 3-4 years.

Having laid it all out like this, it's clear that the base 15" MacBook Air with the education discount is a better long-term value.
No. Base 8 GB RAM is not acceptable for any forward-thinking user. But particularly for anyone who will be using image apps like Adobe Creative Suite.

Buy insurance if you think the uni student is dumb enough to be "losing or breaking" it. But then how did that student get in to uni? We are not talking about kindergarten.

Note that I fully agree with the concept of Mac MBA for a student, just not low RAM.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.