Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Ok, this question is for the guys that really know this stuff. I currently have a 1.6Ghz PowerMac G5.... 240Gb HD, 1.5Gb RAM, nVidia 5200FX. I have the ability to trade off the machine for a 20-inch 2.0 Intel iMac. I use software like DVD studio Pro and sometimes Final Cut Pro 5. I primarily just do fast video editing with the iLife software.

I just want to ask all the veteran MR members, should I go with an Intel iMac or keep the G5? I want the machine that will do my DVDSP + FCP projects FAST. Any information you guys can give me will be a big help to making my decision. Thanks everyone in advance!

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
Ok, this question is for the guys that really know this stuff. I currently have a 1.6Ghz PowerMac G5.... 240Gb HD, 1.5Gb RAM, nVidia 5200FX. I have the ability to trade off the machine for a 20-inch 2.0 Intel iMac. I use software like DVD studio Pro and sometimes Final Cut Pro 5. I primarily just do fast video editing with the iLife software.

I just want to ask all the veteran MR members, should I go with an Intel iMac or keep the G5? I want the machine that will do my DVDSP + FCP projects FAST. Any information you guys can give me will be a big help to making my decision. Thanks everyone in advance!

Since all of the software titles you mention above are available as Universal binaries, it will definitely be a benefit to go with an Intel Mac.

However, the big question is if you will be able to afford upgrading the software you have currently to the latest (Universal binary) version.

If 99% of your time is spent in iLife, it comes with the Intel iMac for free, so go for it!!

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I'd have to say intel. All software that you mentioned is UB, and a dual 2 GHz is obviously faster than a SP 1.6 GHz.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Considering that you are dependant on Pro apps, you might find it useful to wait for Mac Pros for expandibility. Well just my opinion. It sounds like the deal is easily in your favour so you might as well do it anyway.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
I guess so... because I just don't want to have a new machine that's not as fast. For the basic things that i use my G5 for like safari + ilife software... i want it to be just as fast.. no lagging... n i've seen some info before that the imacs aren't as good as the Powermacs due to limitations.. n i know about the upgradablility part is in favor of the PowerMac, i just want to make sure the iMacs can handle the work load. Someone a while back stated it like this:

iMac/iBook = consumer general
PowerMac/Powerbook = Pro app capable.

Now that the intel chips are in....I dunno where certain macs stand...like, for example, if a 2.0 Ghz iMac can do the work at equal to a 2.0 Ghz Macbook Pro....

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
I guess so... because I just don't want to have a new machine that's not as fast. For the basic things that i use my G5 for like safari + ilife software... i want it to be just as fast.. no lagging... n i've seen some info before that the imacs aren't as good as the Powermacs due to limitations.. n i know about the upgradablility part is in favor of the PowerMac, i just want to make sure the iMacs can handle the work load. Someone a while back stated it like this:

Now that the intel chips are in....I dunno where certain macs stand...like, for example, if a 2.0 Ghz iMac can do the work at equal to a 2.0 Ghz Macbook Pro....

The MacBook Pro is basically a 2Ghz iMac with a screen and a battery gaffer taped on. The current line of iMacs are more than capable for all of Apple's pro applications, in Universal apps they are comparable to at least dual G5 2.0Ghz machines.

Like macpastor said, take the Intel iMac and run.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:

iMac. No question about it. Pump up the RAM to 2GB, and love it.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:

Go to the store or do whatever NOW!!! Don't wait. This deal is WAAYYY to good to pass up. Just trust me, like everyone said, take the intel and run.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:

The iMac is as fast or faster than the MBP at the same clock speed. Faster HD, non-mobility video card. See barefeats.com for benchmarking.

The distinction between pro- and consumer-capable machines is totally artificial. Logic Pro on an iMac runs as well as a Dual Core 2.3GHz G5 (check the Apple forums for the benchmarks). I can confirm the outstanding performance of Logic on the iMac.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Ok... so having a non-mobility video card is better than a mobile one? So in essence, regardless what Intel Mac i get, it'll blow away my 1.6Ghz G5? Even the 1.83 iMac? or the 1.5 Intel Core Solo Mini?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
Ok... so having a non-mobility video card is better than a mobile one? So in essence, regardless what Intel Mac i get, it'll blow away my 1.6Ghz G5? Even the 1.83 iMac? or the 1.5 Intel Core Solo Mini?

The Intel iMac will beat the Power Mac into submission until it cries for mommy and regresses to infant stage. I run FCP, DVD SP, and Motion on a daily basis on my iMac and MBP, they are comparable to a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 with a nice graphics card. Stay away from the Core Solo Mac Mini though...

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
Edge100 said:
The iMac is as fast or faster than the MBP at the same clock speed. Faster HD, non-mobility video card. See barefeats.com for benchmarking.

The distinction between pro- and consumer-capable machines is totally artificial. Logic Pro on an iMac runs as well as a Dual Core 2.3GHz G5 (check the Apple forums for the benchmarks). I can confirm the outstanding performance of Logic on the iMac.

teh iMac core duo does have a mobility card, the imac is basically the same insides as the MBP with a larger HDD and no expresscard/34

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
This is a great trade. Just make sure to maxxx out the RAM to 2 GB on the iMac, and you'll be great off. If you have a Single 1.6 GHz G5, and the 2.0 GHz Core Duo is comparable to a Dual 2.5 GHz G5. The X1600 is far superior to your FX5200, and you will get the much faster 667 MHz PC2-5300 RAM. Also a big nice, crisp, 1.7 mpx 20" display, and you can even get dual monitors with the DVI out. Go for the iMac, and you can even upgrade the HDD to 750 GB if you need it for your video.:cool: :D

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
That is true, though my G5 can have enough room for 2.5 Terabyte of HD space. Hmm.... so which would lose more resale value by the end of this summer when the Intel Core 2 Duos come out with the Mac Pros? Cuz if the new chipsets go into the next revision of iMacs, then the current 2.0 will lose value as well....but would the loss in value be significantly different from the loss in value when the Mac Pros come out.

What i'm thinking is I'll hold off the trade....wait for the next revision of Intel iMacs. Or maybe I should just do the trade and then sell the iMac for more cash and just wait the next few months.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm not sure why you're not jumping on this. As others have said, the intel imac will absolutely pummel the powermac on every task in every way (except for apps that it has to run with rosetta). It also has a 20" LCD attached. It's also worth way more.

Yet you seem to really not want to make this trade... so don't. Seriously. If you're happy with what you have, stick with it. Sometimes it's smarter not to mess with a good thing.

But the imac would destroy the G5 so badly you wouldn't believe your eyes.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
You'd be insane to pass this trade up, it's an incredible deal for you. The imac will blow away the G5.

Stop worrying about loss of value, what really matters is which machine will do the job for you. Are you interested in running your apps blazing fast or in wasting money by continually selling and buying machines?

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
I should just do the trade and then sell the iMac for more cash and just wait the next few months.

This is exactly what I was going to recommmend. The imac will be more powerful than the G5 1.6 (and don't worry about surfing, the imacs are super-fast). What I worry about - and what you might be able to avoid - is that once the intel PowerMacs come out, G5 PM's are going to take a nosedive in value.

yoji

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yojitani said:
What I worry about - and what you might be able to avoid - is that once the intel PowerMacs come out, G5 PM's are going to take a nosedive in value.

Yeah, I think used G5s will flood the market and lose value at remarkable rates (witness the 12" powerbook and ibook after the macbook release) but I expect the imacs will take some hit in value too. Because they won't be kings of the hill any more, and will seem so pitiful compared to the mac pro beasts. ;)

Let me say again, this is an amazing deal for you, but if you're happy with the G5 and not thrilled about the imac, then stick with what you like. Nothing wrong with that.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
milo said:
You'd be insane to pass this trade up, it's an incredible deal for you. The imac will blow away the G5.

Stop worrying about loss of value, what really matters is which machine will do the job for you. Are you interested in running your apps blazing fast or in wasting money by continually selling and buying machines?

I am interested in using my apps at "blazing speeds" but you have to remember too that the Apps will be updated and upgraded. So as time moves on, the newer versions of the apps I use will end up being the "least specs" of the apps.

I think I will do the trade...my machine can't even get Call of Duty 2 installed on my current machine. :-(

It just sucks to know that I bought my machine back in Dec 03' and I felt like I was blown thru the walls of the house like the commericals...n now to know that its just a little shove now...kinda sucks. Oh well...here comes a new iMac. Then I'll sell it in mid-August. :-D

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
It just sucks to know that I bought my machine back in Dec 02' and I felt like I was blown thru the walls of the house like the commericals...n now to know that its just a little shove now...kinda sucks. Oh well...here comes a new iMac. Then I'll sell it in mid-August. :-D

Hmm... where di you get a G5 PowerMac in dec 02? :D As I remember, they appeared in summer 2003 :p

Josias said:
the 2.0 GHz Core Duo is comparable to a Dual 2.5 GHz G5

No way. It is comparable to dual 2GHz G5. Sometimes it peforms almost as fast as dualcore 2.3, but definately not 2.5.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
eXan said:
Hmm... where di you get a G5 PowerMac in dec 02? :D As I remember, they appeared in summer 2003 :p

No way. It is comparable to dual 2GHz G5. Sometimes it peforms almost as fast as dualcore 2.3, but definately not 2.5.

Wow, sorry, typo. :-D If I had the G5 in 02....i must have the second revision of the Mac Pros by now huh? lol

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Its not even a question. My MBP 2.0 is faster than my DUAL 1.8Ghz G5. The intel is going to blow away your single 1.6, even running in Rosetta.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
I am interested in using my apps at "blazing speeds" but you have to remember too that the Apps will be updated and upgraded. So as time moves on, the newer versions of the apps I use will end up being the "least specs" of the apps.

I think I will do the trade...my machine can't even get Call of Duty 2 installed on my current machine. :-(

It just sucks to know that I bought my machine back in Dec 03' and I felt like I was blown thru the walls of the house like the commericals...n now to know that its just a little shove now...kinda sucks. Oh well...here comes a new iMac. Then I'll sell it in mid-August. :-D

Repeat after me: My computer is the same speed today as it was the day I bought it. Again. My computer is the same speed today as the day I bought it.

Hardware doesn't slow down. Well, maybe a LITTLE bit due to hard drive clutter, but a well maintained computer doesn't slow down.

But you've got it right: the software is what causes your old machine to FEEL slow. Always, always, always buy the computer you need TODAY. When your NEEDS surpass what your computer can do, buy a new one. But remember, no one forces you to upgrade. The desire to upgrade is all in your head. Do you really need the newest widget that takes up 25% more CPU power than last year?

I do audio production, and I always advise people to spend their money on hardware that will last years, rather than the newest plug-in or app. Hardware holds its value. Software is worthless tomorrow.

Get what you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.