Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I know some of you might not be interested in screen protectors but I know someone else might be out there so I figured I would post this.

ZAGG's mall kiosks will have screen protectors on day one according to my local kiosk. They will have original (Orange peel), HD (clearer, but still has a slight texture) and HDX (still don't know a lot about this one). GLASS may come out later depending on sales, but it will not be immediately available. Sounds like the first few batches will be cut on the machines they have at the kiosks and original will run $20 plus tax (may vary by location).

Yeah I know that getting a screen protector might be a bit redundant but I'm getting one because at least if scratches its just the protector and not the AW's glass (especially for those like me getting the Sport).

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
For those interested, ZAGG Kiosks will have screen protectors for the Watch.

Sapphire is extremely durable and doesn't scratch easily, so I wouldn't recommend a screen protector. Sapphire can shatter if dropped at the right angle, but it's rare.

Not sure how the Sport model will hold up though.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Sapphire is extremely durable and doesn't scratch easily, so I wouldn't recommend a screen protector. Sapphire can shatter if dropped at the right angle, but it's rare.

Not sure how the Sport model will hold up though.

Getting a screen protector for my future Apple watch will be a no-brainer. I've owned watches with Sapphire glass on them and they do get scratched after a while if you use them as your everyday watch. It's quite hard to get them scratched but when you do, you'll regret not getting a screen protector.

If you place the protector perfectly on the screen you won't notice it anyway and you can just change it every now an then to keep it scratch-less.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Getting a screen protector for my future Apple watch will be a no-brainer. I've owned watches with Sapphire glass on them and they do get scratched after a while if you use them as your everyday watch. It's quite hard to get them scratched but when you do, you'll regret not getting a screen protector.

If you place the protector perfectly on the screen you won't notice it anyway and you can just change it every now an then to keep it scratch-less.

I've never experienced a scratch no matter how small on any of my luxury watches. Sapphire if it's genuine and of good quality simply does not scratch. That's the whole idea behind using it.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I've never experienced a scratch no matter how small on any of my luxury watches. Sapphire if it's genuine and of good quality simply does not scratch. That's the whole idea behind using it.

This.
I've had 2 watches since 1997, both with Sapphire, and nothing even close to a scratch. And this includes major spills on concrete that really messed up the rest of my watch... But the Sapphire stayed flawless.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars

I guess you must be more careful with stuff like this than I am. I know as a fact that every time I insert my key in home's door I risk scratching my watch against a rocky-gravel wall which is just perfect for scratching your watch by accident.

Also, I'm a leftie and I wear my watches on the left hand, so this could also be a factor, more hand usage, more chances of scratching it.

priscilla55

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Falkirk, Scotland
Also, I'm a leftie and I wear my watches on the left hand, so this could also be a factor, more hand usage, more chances of scratching it.

Like you, I normally wear my watch on the wrist of my dominant hand ( on my right in my case) but have realised this just won't work for the Apple watch. I don't think my non-dominant hand is dexterous enough to deal with the apps and the crown. This means that I'm having to swap wrists after 30 years. I've spent a lot of time this week looking at bare skin when I go to check the time!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Covering up the saphire screen with a sheet of cheap plastic doesn't make any sense.

1. The plastic screen protector will scratch, so it will just look like a scratched up watch.

2. You will only be able to see that beautiful 'scratch free' saphire screen, behind a scratched up piece of plastic.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I guess you must be more careful with stuff like this than I am. I know as a fact that every time I insert my key in home's door I risk scratching my watch against a rocky-gravel wall which is just perfect for scratching your watch by accident.

I know the wall you are talking about. I once scratched my watch on it, though to be honest it's very rare. Day to day, you don't need a screen protector . The only thing that can scratch sapphire is something harder, as long as you are aware of these materials, you will be okay

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Like you, I normally wear my watch on the wrist of my dominant hand ( on my right in my case) but have realised this just won't work for the Apple watch. I don't think my non-dominant hand is dexterous enough to deal with the apps and the crown. This means that I'm having to swap wrists after 30 years. I've spent a lot of time this week looking at bare skin when I go to check the time!
I know the wall you are talking about. I once scratched my watch on it, though to be honest it's very rare. Day to day, you don't need a screen protector . The only thing that can scratch sapphire is something harder, as long as you are aware of these materials, you will be okay
I'm glad you understand me, sadly this happened more than twice with my latest watch and I'm really frustrated about it. I guess I will be less likely to scratch the Apple Watch since I won't be using it on my dominant hand. So that whole wall-door story will be over.

Covering up the saphire screen with a sheet of cheap plastic doesn't make any sense.

1. The plastic screen protector will scratch, so it will just look like a scratched up watch.

2. You will only be able to see that beautiful 'scratch free' saphire screen, behind a scratched up piece of plastic.

Not exactly, I've bought iPhone screen protectors for less than a dollar a piece online for a while, so having a stash of 2-3 assures you that you can always change them once they start looking ugly. Sapphire is not "Scratch Free", it's hard to scratch but it is possible to scratch it in an unlucky situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.