Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I was just wondering what was the total cost you spent on your upgrade (accessories, add-ons, etc). What did you do with you older machine, and if you sold it, how much of a hit did you take? How much more do you think you will spend on new applications/software?

I'm definitely considering the macbook/pro line, but am curious of the "total cost" to upgrade. I bought my mint 12" powerbook (with a beautiful sleeve) about a month ago for $600. I'm worried about the further depreciation as time goes on. But at the same time if the total cost of going forward to a new laptop with the add-ons will be much more, then I'll just stay with what I have.

I'll also be looking forward to a new imac or powermac ;)

Thanks!

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
If you don't need huge processing power on the run, or are not planning to make it the core of a system (monitor, hd etc) stick with what you have. You got it for a good price. If you're getting an iMac or PowerMac, you

Me, I'm torn between keeping my pb (same as yours) and getting an iMac, or giving the pb to my niece (and godchild) for her 18th birthday and starting afresh with a mb as the core of a system. I travel quite a bit and would like to have my main processing power with me, but the iMac is such an elegant solution. The cost either way will be about €2,000 between computer, ram (external monitor and hd if I go the MacBook route).

You will have to figure on a couple of hundred for the ram. As for software, you can use what you have until you feel the need to go UB (or it's available)

We pay a lot more than you do for our machines.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
I can't tell you the total cost because Adobe CS 3 and Studio 9 are not out yet. So is Office 07/08 and many other UB software. For me its going to cost me about $700 on top of the MBP 17".

I didn't buy anything extra because I already had stuff for my old powerbook.

Im using my TiBook as a backup computer and its always in my backpack ready to go.

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
I had a PowerBook 17", 1Ghz, 1.25GB, 60GB, Superdrive. I paid $1500 for it 2 years earlier.

I recently sold it for $1000. I then took that as a "start" to get my new MBP. I work for a large corporation, so I got an 8% discount with Apple. I have 7% sales tax here, so I netted a 1% discount of of sticker.

I bought the 7200RPM 100GB MacBook pro 15" model as described in my signature.

With the 1% discount (after sales tax), My total came to around $2500, with my $1000 cash, I only had to pay about $1500.

Of course, then I realized I wanted 2GB RAM, so I spent $75 on the newegg special for another GB stick. $30 on a neoprene sleeve, $30 on an HP Lapdesk.

All in all, I spent a lot of freaking money, but absolutely _love_ hte machine. Parallels runs beautifully now with the RAM upgrade. I just wish the drive were bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.