Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Hey guys. I just recently tried out the new safe sleep hack and to put it short it's absolutely awesome! You can find it here if you want to check it out:

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/11/11/how-to-safe-sleep-your-mac/

anyway, i've been dabbling with applescript lately, just for fun, and this safe sleep hack gave me an idea. Since there are essentially three pmset options that control the way safe sleep behaves, I made 3 applescripts, each of which I can access from quicksilver to quickly change the setting to what I want it to be. One setting is full safe sleep, turning your completely off when you close the lid. Another setting still creates the safe sleep image as a precaution when you close the lid, but invokes normal sleep so getting back to work is just as fast. The last setting is safe sleep mode disabled, which puts everything back to normal. To top it off, the scripts send a notification to growl that verify the system change took place. I'm just really happy I actually figured out how to make these work correctly and felt like sharing, so attached are the three applescripts I made. Feel free to put them to good use.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 71

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
jhero said:
Cool :)

What is the advantage of safe sleep for a normal user?

I'm assuming by normal you mean desktop users?

There isn't quite as much use for desktops. If your power goes out while your computer is sleeping, you won't lose any data. You could also have the computer go into full fledged sleep mode when it sleeps to conserve power, but the savings is hardly worth the 30 second wake time really. Mostly it's used to conserve battery life in portables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.