Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
What are the things holding you back that you're waiting for? They don't have to be a big deal, considering that it's your choice as a buyer. Some things may not matter to others that matter to you. I got a glossy screen on my MBP (I totally don't care whatsoever), and there are others that won't touch anything without a matte screen. You get the idea.

I'd like to get one for traveling, but I'm waiting for 4GB RAM and better video ability (nothing nuts, but just the ability to watch a lot of video without overheating problems - WITHOUT 3rd party software. It needs this from Apple).

When that gets sorted out, I'll bite. The prices are great, the 2.13GHZ is plenty fast, and the SSD performance is great.

I still think it's one of the sexiest laptops out there.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I had a few Airs now and jumped ship when the 13" MBP came out, however ordered a new 1.8 64SSD (no lines) for 1100.00 and could not be happier.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
(1) Line Issue to be fixed (which is pathitic that Apple hasn't fixed it yet)
(2) 4 gigs of RAM
(3) Glass Trackpad (the current one sctraches the bezel)
(4) 256gig SSD

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
(2) 4 gigs of RAM
(4) 256gig SSD

I forgot about the line issue. I can't believe that's still a problem. That's ridiculous. I just assumed they'd fixed it by now.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I agree with all of the upgrade suggestions, but as far as I can tell, the line issues have been fixed with the new line of Airs. Unless the lines start appearing right after the 14 day return period.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The REV C did not fix the line issue. There are plenty of threads about it.

Also wouldn't mind a 15" model.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I can't believe that Apple have not yet addressed the line issue as it has been mentioned so often, both here on the forums and elsewhere. In common with the OP, (and others, I suspect), I love the form of the MBA, and value portability. And yes, I intend to get a MBA sometime, but not just yet.

Cheers

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
The screen of the Rev A is beautiful, the line issue is still current so I will buy nothing at this time but a Rev A.
I feel the netbook/Tablet will take the place of the Air.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Traded in (so to speak) my Unibody MacBook for a MacBook Air last night. I wish it had the black bezel and glass trackpad--basically I wish it was a thin MacBook Pro, RAM isn't looking like too much of an issue. Really the only thing for me that I didn't realize before buying is that this thing's fans kick in like every second since the vents are underneath (where you rest it on your laps) and hence are covered all the time! Pretty annoying, I'm still experimenting, it might just be the initial setup process that is working it a bit harder than the light use I intend to put on it.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Traded in (so to speak) my Unibody MacBook for a MacBook Air last night. I wish it had the black bezel and glass trackpad--basically I wish it was a thin MacBook Pro, RAM isn't looking like too much of an issue. Really the only thing for me that I didn't realize before buying is that this thing's fans kick in like every second since the vents are underneath (where you rest it on your laps) and hence are covered all the time! Pretty annoying, I'm still experimenting, it might just be the initial setup process that is working it a bit harder than the light use I intend to put on it.

Yeah. It does take a bit of getting used to in order to not cover the vents: you need to have it rest more between your legs so the taper is on your thighs (or sit curled up with your feet on a coffee table and your knees bent and use your stomach for one end and rest the back on your thighs to create a nice little pocket for the vents to stay uncovered -- ergonomics be damned).

Given Macs lack of dealing with flash, you probably should look at ClickToFlash and/or Safari Adblock to help keep your browser from shooting up the load on the machine and hence fan.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
In total agreement. I think it would be easier to make it a true desktop replacement with little added weight.

Honestly, since I switched back to a MBP because of all the issues with the Air, I really am not sure I could go back to a 13" screen. I love the Air's form factor more than anything, but the extra 2"'s makes a huge difference.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Honestly, since I switched back to a MBP because of all the issues with the Air, I really am not sure I could go back to a 13" screen. I love the Air's form factor more than anything, but the extra 2"'s makes a huge difference.
I will never go back to a 15" MBP but to each his own.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006

You could, if Apple would put a normal, non-pathetic, display in it, i.e. with 1440x900 resolution. Many companies now make 13 inch or smaller notebooks with 1440x900. Just as many companies make 15" screens with higher resolution (e.g. 1680x1050) than Apple's outdated "flagship" laptop, the MBP.

Furthermore, given the fat bezel of the current MBAir one could probably fit a 14" display with either 1440x900 or 1680x1050 in it.

So, it's just a matter of Apple getting their act together and building up-to-date laptops.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
You could, if Apple would put a normal, non-pathetic, display in it, i.e. with 1440x900 resolution. Many companies now make 13 inch or smaller notebooks with 1440x900.

I would really like to see 1440x900 on the Air. That would be awesome. It is the one thing that I miss about using the work first generation 15" MBP on a regular basis .. everything else, not so much.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Having had every major Apple laptop in the last 10 years (just not the most recent Pro's) I have to say that the Rev A Air I have is used more than any other. It's light, fast enough, cool. I'm never without it close by. But it boils down to what one migth need a laptop for. If I have RAM-hungry work to do I tend to do it on my tower. Working in Photoshop or writing software just never is easy to do on a laptop anyway. This is my mobile office, and I love it.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
(2) 4 gigs of RAM
(4) 256gig SSD

This pretty much sums it up for me. I would say the Glass trackpad is the top of my list, 256gig SSD next, and while I did have a Rev B for about 4 months I was lucky enough to avoid the dreaded lines on the screen, I did find it enjoyable to use, but not as a main computer for my needs.

I did notice the screen hinge "loosen" over the course of the first 90 days to the point of having more "slop" in it then I would expect for the $2500 bucks the 1.8/SSD version cost. The build quality of the MBA hinge is still something I'll wait for them to correct, just seems poorly designed. (hinge issue and the trackpad/bezel issue)

IF they did however put this list in a new Revision, 4gig/256SSd and the glass trackpad I would probably buy one even with the current hinge config. It's a fun machine to have and I did take it with me everywhere I went.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
If your trackpad button is scratching your bezel you need to get it fixed because it's sitting too high. I'm not saying it's not happening on a lot of Airs (I had one with this problem), but my current Air does NOT have this issue.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
5) The 256GB SSD - This is last because it could end up being expensive. Other than that, I don't really need this much space, but it would be nice to have.
4) Glass Trackpad - Don't need it, but it would be nice to have
T2) Line issue - I haven't seen the lines on one yet. Maybe I'm immune. Maybe I'm blind. I just don't want to have to worry about it.
T2) 4GB RAM - Great for future-proofing. I want to be able to keep it for a while. If I can replace it sooner, that's great.

And the number one reason that I'm not buying a MacBook Air:
I can't afford it currently. :eek:

no.1 Apple Fan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
In a pineapple under the sea
Also wouldn't mind a 15" model.

Doesn't that sort of defeat the whole point of the notebook being small and lightweight?:eek:

I love the glass trackpad on my MBP. Probably the next Air update should bring in the glass trackpad. Apple tends to put some of their specialty technologies in all of the notebooks, like the MacBook keyboard went on into the Pro and Air.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Line issue, they should really solve this. And lack of Kensington lock slot -because I would bring it to work and would like the ability to leave it open on my desk during lunch, like I do with my PBG4 now.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Easy...

Priority 1 - perfect, issue-free display - not buying again until this farce is sorted out.

Priority 2 - more RAM, would settle for 4GB soldered on in truth, but it grates that the 13 MBP can support upto 8GB (expandable slots I know)

Priority 3 - battery tech - needs improving, 3-3.5 is NOT enough for machine touted as ultraportable and wireless. The MBP 13 has a SEVEN-hour battery in comparison, meaning around 5-6 in real life use.

Priority 4 - 256GB SSD - the perfect combination of space vs. price - oh and at speeds that compare with newer Toshiba/Intel SSDs as opposed to throttled Samsungs.

Priority 5 - more screen real estate - achieved via upping screen resolution and/or reduction of ridiculously thick screen bezel

Priority 6 - now I'm getting aesthetically picky, but would like the option of having a WHITE keyboard (as per the current Alu keyboards, wired and BT) - really not a fan of chiclet keyboards anyway but it's worse when they mark/shine so easily from finger oils after only minimal use.

Priority 7 - if no white keyboard possible, the option of having a BLACK anodized Alu case, same material as used in the new 'black' iPods shuffle and nano .

That's it - not a fan of the so-called 'glass' trackpad having used one on the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.