Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
For those Uh-oh situations when:
- My iPhone 15's battery is near dead
- I don't have my USB-C cable
- My friends / the person next to me in the airport only has a Lightning charge cables

Does a tiny but good Lightning to USB-C converter exist? Something I could put in my purse and forget about until I needed it?
Any brands to stay away from?
I searched Monoprice for "Lightning to USB-C converter" and didn't see one.
Amazon has brands I don't recognize like the one below. Not sure if the reviews can be trusted.

1694798508411.png

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
- My friends / the person next to me in the airport only has a Lightning charge cables

Does a tiny but good Lightning to USB-C converter exist? Something I could put in my purse and forget about until I needed it?
Amazon has brands I don't recognize like the one below. Not sure if the reviews can be trusted.

View attachment 2263466
They work

Reactions: MareLuce

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Darn. I was about to try one and just saw a note from the manufacturer:

"The USB-C male connector can only charge Android devices, and does not support charging the USB-C interface iPhone15 or iPad!"

Does anyone have a link to one that works to charge an iPhone 15?

Female Lighting --> Male USB-C

?

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Why did you forget your cable but not the adapter?

Great question! 🏆

Answer:

Because that adapter is teeny tiny enough to forever keep in my purse. It would never move out of my purse. It would stay in the bottom of my secret pocket that I always keep zipped.

I would probably forget the adapter is in my purse, until I ( or a friend with an iPhone 15 in same situation) actually needed it.

I saved a tech presenter at a conference by pulling out something similar once. When he returned it, he asked me, “ are you presenting? <no>
then did you used to be a Boy Scout? 😂

All the dangerous situations I found myself in when traveling have been because my phone had zero battery.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Buy tiny powerbank then or a 15cm cable.. :)

Neither of those would fit into my small purse and take up almost no room.

Wait - you might be right. 15 cm = 6 inches
If a cable, that would be very light….

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Darn. I was about to try one and just saw a note from the manufacturer:

"The USB-C male connector can only charge Android devices, and does not support charging the USB-C interface iPhone15 or iPad!"

Does anyone have a link to one that works to charge an iPhone 15?

Female Lighting --> Male USB-C

?

USB C cables are kind of thick so I got a pack of two and they are working fine, out of stock

Last edited:

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio

View attachment 2263466
Yes, I have one I use all the time. When the iPad started with the C and the phone still using Lightening and my Watch needing a magnetic charger......I just gave up and set up a kit with the right cables and a small rapid charge brick to plug into a standard outlet. Of course that required an adaptor. This has met all my charging needs at airports, meetings, hotels, family visits. However, you will need a bigger purse/crossbody with the same zipped, exclusive pocket to keep it in and as a way to stay organized and able to quickly check to be sure everything is there after use or borrowing. It's also easy to throw in a suitcase and cheap enough to have a second baggie with the same 3 cords and adaptor along with a laptop brick for the hotel room, if needed. Good Life Hack!

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Why don’t you get something like this? Then you can connect to any power brick and also share this with others that have lightening. And it is pretty small too. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...210SKVU6VZNRY&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_cta
That looks really interesting. Great form factor.

Doesn't the phrase "OTG" with charging mean it's not iphone compatible?
Or no...

It doesn't have exactly what I was looking for: Lightning female to USB-C male,
but it has every other possible combination!

deleon

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
That looks really interesting. Great form factor.

Doesn't the phrase "OTG" with charging mean it's not iphone compatible?
Or no...

It doesn't have exactly what I was looking for: Lightning female to USB-C male,
but it has every other possible combination!
OTG means On The Go. So one for travel.
And you don't need that later scenario. Every cable you would borrow would be plugged into a charging brick. This would be just a super short cable with different attachments. So your friend's charging brick will be usb c or usb a. Ask them to remove their cable so you can charge. Then you can plug in either a phone that is usb c or lightening. And if they have a multi port charger you both can charge as they don't have to give you their cable.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I have tried two versions of those adapters and they both suck. They technically work but dont stay attached easily. In a pinch, maybe a good solution but long term just get new cables.

Reactions: MareLuce

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm not understanding this problem at all. USB-C cables are EVERYWHERE. Step into just about any store and you'll likely find one- even a drug store seemingly on about every corner anymore. The hotel in which you might stay could perhaps loan you one for an emergency charge.

If this is an airport scenario, step into any airport store and they are going to have USB-C cables. Buy a cable for this emergency and then pack better for the next trip. Put the USB-C cable you buy in the carry-on bag instead of the tiny purse... or get yourself a bigger purse for travel so you have ready access to anything you may need.

Odds are good you can find USB ports in airport seats or on work bars. If so, plug in there and charge your new phone with the cable you buy in the airport. You might even be able to make a new friend already sitting at one of those work bars having a USB cable you can use for a while. Make a new friend. You would not be the first person with a "forgot my charging cable" emergency. People will help you if you try.

Now that the last Lightning product holdout has switched, Lightning accessories are going to fade quickly. If you find such an adapter, great, but my suggestion would be to be better prepared yourself... so you don't have to depend on what friends have with them. In this emergency, you can't step back in time to be better prepared, but there are almost certainly abundant solutions around you.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I'm not understanding this problem at all. USB-C cables are EVERYWHERE.

No.

2 example scenarios both of which I've experienced:

First one is more seared into my mind.

1) 9 degrees Fahrenheit outside, all roads iced, no electricity flowing anywhere except to houses lucky enough to be located near a hospital or some piece of critical infrastructure like a dam

Sitting on the floor of a hotel lobby with > 100 other people sitting / sleeping / trying to stay warm
in the closest hotel that had a backup generator running (for the lobby only, not the rooms)
when my neighborhood had no power for a week
then no water for 5 days because all the frozen burst pipes in all the houses (mine had 7 burst)
caused city-wide water pressure to decrease too low for purification or something to run...

So sitting in that hotel lobby,
Someone agreed to share their 3' Lightning cable with 3 others sitting nearby including me.

Would they agree to replace their 3' lightning cable with my 6' Anker lightning cable so more people could use it?
No.
Was there any other electrical outlet available?
No.
Everyone's phone was dead or near dead on battery.

Anything that happens once can happen again.
In that same situation, I'd need exactly what I'm asking for - Female Lightning to Male USB-C

2) Less dire, but more for convenience and speed:

In an airport , nice person sitting between me and next to the only available plug without changing seats,
let's me use their lightning cable for 10 min.
In that situation I probably could convince them to unplug theirs to plug in my USB-C cable but it would be faster and easier not to.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I realised that since I always have my MagSafe battery with me, that of course use Lightning, I now can charge with either cable with my 15 PM 😊

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
With every bit of sympathy I can offer, the 9 degree, marooned-in-a-hotel scenario is likely a rare-to-very-rare one. I live on the coast in Florida. We occasionally get hit with a hurricane and are sometimes without power for up to a couple of weeks. Rare things happen. Might still get walloped by one this year or might not get hit here for a decade or more. All you can do is be best prepared for emergencies. Make an emergency kit with essentials for your car, for your principle carry-on bag, etc. Then you don't need to rely on anyone else in those rare emergencies.

In your car, you can store a charged-up emergency battery pack with upwards of 5 or more (phone) charges in it like this one. That way, if you can't make it to that hotel, you will have a way to recharge your phone 5 times while trying to get through the emergency in your own car. If you do make it to the hotel and people won't cooperate, get to your car and bring your own 5-charges of power in to help yourself.

However, in a situation with a 100 other people, about 60% of them with smart phones probably have Android. Since no Android opted for Lightning, up to all of them probably had USB-C. Make another friend. In an emergency situation like that, it's easy and people are most motivated to help each other out because "we're all in this together."

In #2, it's extraordinarily easy to pull a USB cable out of a USB jack and plug in another cable. And if the person next to you won't be a good travel mate, change seats so you have access too.

Or put one of these (or similar) in the little purse so that when you need to ask to share some electricity, you can offer to keep their charge going while you get yours going too...

2portWUSB.jpg

If you only have a relatively big brick charger, pack one of these so you and the other guy can both plug in big charging bricks...

51y-nX8TNxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Again, I offer full sympathy for both situations... but pull together a little emergency kit and you'll never face either scenario (or anything similar) again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.