Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
I have an iPad 3 and just ordered a nexus 7. I wanted it just do I could have an android device and be familiar with another operating system besides iOS.

If you are going to order one, I suggest going through staples. It ships from their by the 17 the latest, free 1-3 day shipping, and no restocking fee if needed.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I found another source where you pay no shipping and no tax but you'll see the device mid August.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I actually canceled my order direct from Google, since there isn't any solid shipping information.. plus there I'm paying both tax and shipping.

I actually got my first (bad) taste of Google on the phone call. They guy asked why I was canceling and I mentioned that I'd probably just wait and pick it up locally at Staples. He then explains that I'll have no warranty or support from Google if I chose to purchase it from a retailer and not from Google directly.

I honestly don't really care what their support policies are, as I'm just purchasing it to tinker around with the new OS. I understand that the warranty is via the manufacturer anyways, so it seems silly that Google would want to spook me from using one of their retailers. Why not just skip them entirely and only sell it direct?

Either way, saving shipping plus 5% cash back via ShopDiscover amounts to about $25. Thanks OP..

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
so it seems silly that Google would want to spook me from using one of their retailers. Why not just skip them entirely and only sell it direct?

I agree, they just prefer to keep the sale than lose it to a retailer. Also don't forget the Nexus 7 is being sold at a break even for Google. They lose money when a B&M store sells it to you. So yeah I can't blame them but that's pretty cheesy to suggest you have no warranty buying it at Staples. That's false. :p

Does anyone know if you still get a $25 credit for the Google Store if you buy the Nexus 7 elsewhere? :confused:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Does anyone know if you still get a $25 credit for the Google Store if you buy the Nexus 7 elsewhere? :confused:

That's a good question. I'd say it's ambiguous, since this is in the Staples ad:

Buy the new tablet from Google and get $25 credit to spend on Google Play, as well as some great free content, including your own copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

So are they saying that if you buy it direct, or is it a clumsy way of referring to the Nexus 7 as the "new tablet from Google"?

If they are hyping a feature of buying direct it would seem an odd place to do so (in the Staples ad).

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Yes, it does still come with the credit. I called Staples to order it and asked them, and they confirmed. They also gave me a guaranteed delivery date of the 17th. :D

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I have an iPad 3 and just ordered a nexus 7. I wanted it just do I could have an android device and be familiar with another operating system besides iOS.

If you are going to order one, I suggest going through staples. It ships from their by the 17 the latest, free 1-3 day shipping, and no restocking fee if needed.

I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure about the return policy. You say no restocking fee if returned to Staples though?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure about the return policy. You say no restocking fee if returned to Staples though?

I can confirm that Staples is probably the only Office Superstore that has no restocking fee. Office Depot changed their policy and have been charging 15% restocking fee the last couple of years. No wonder their sales have tanked. :p

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I've considered ordering one just to tinker around with it, but I'm synonymous for buying stuff like this that I don't REALLY want and only using them a few times. Example: HP Touchpad. I've always had an iPad but ordered a Touchpad, that now barely gets used. So I'm going to take a wait and see approach here.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I look forward to getting one for $125 used a couple of months after it is released and giving it to my kids.

It will keep them from touching my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.