Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macpro2019

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
i was thinking of getting myself 12 core with 1tb or 2 tb Ssd. I can just get 32 gb rams. And get myself radeon 7 x1.

What about you guys?

filterdecay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2017
16 core possibly a vega but not for 2k. Ill live with the low end if it can drive 4 monitors Im fine. 256gb system drive is fine for software. I will probably get the Pegasus mpx 4 drive bay. 32gb of ram will have to due for now and I will put that to 64gb later.

Reactions: Macpro2019

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
WHEN I purchase mine, I intend to purchase the following configuration.

12c Processor (fast clock speeds)
32 GB memory (I will expand that later)
1x Vega Module
512GB NAND boot blade (I have plenty of PCIe SSD storage to install from my cMP)

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I would wait for the silent update of the Mac Pro with Radeon VII MPX Module.

Then:
- 8 or 12 core CPU
- 32 GB memory
- 512 GB SSD

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Where are you all getting prices for the options? I haven't seen them published anywhere.

I use my computer for photo and video editing, gaming, and as a scientist planning to do computations and modeling. I think the base machine is actually okay for most of the things I do, but I would prefer the Vega II graphics depending on the price. The Duo card would make it the most future-proof. I think I would prefer these specs:

12-core
32GB RAM (can upgrade later)
1 TB SSD (dual 512 GB)
Radeon Pro Vega II
[doublepost=1560198232][/doublepost]For those saying 512GB storage you'll have to opt for 1 TB as there is no 512 GB option.

Last edited:

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I believe you will need to have the 12-core and 48 Gigs of ram (or Six DIMMs) to get the best RAM performance?

12-core
48GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II

Of course this would also depend on the pricing for the upgrades, this is my minimum configuration that would be updated later. I would get some sort of additional storage for my files and use the proprietary 256GB SSD as a boot drive only... if at all. It might be cheaper upgrading the RAM myself but I wouldn't want to touch the internals for a period of time to make sure there weren't any factory/design defects that manifest... wouldn't want apple blaming something I changed for the problem. =)

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I’m sure we’ll see a lot of 580X MPXs trying to be unloaded from people who got a deal on the base model. A 2nd one of those might be a good inexpensive option for those who need more than 8 GB VRAM, but don’t quite need 32 GB.

Reactions: martyjmclean

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'd cover the Apple with a
z4.jpg
logo - because although Apple compares against Z8 prices, they're delivering a Z4 product.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hmmm I think 12 or 16 core, 128gb ram, 1 Vega module, 1tb SSD.
That should future proof it for a while. I have enough TB2 external storage that I can use.
I think less ram makes zero sense with so many cores. My current 8 core uses its 64gb perfectly during rendering. 6gb per core is recommended by adobe for an after effects workstation. I’m worried about the price....

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I'd cover the Apple with a View attachment 842200 logo - because although Apple compares against Z8 prices, they're delivering a Z4 product.

It far closer to be a blend of the Z4 and Z6 (with some subset of Z8 features thrown in). The Z6 already has a single LGA-3647 socket ( versus Z4 LGA-2066 socket). They would need a new motherboard to provision out the additional x16 PCI-e lanes but if want the minimal board changes to get to The W-32xx series you'd start with a single socket 3647 board..... which is what the basic Z6 is.

[ The z6 has a socket to expand out into a second CPU socket which is different from the new Mac Pro's foundational design, but the baseline is closer than the z4 is. e.g., 6 DIMM sockets standard vs 4 DIMM is closer to the Mac Pro. ]

Apple doing the fewest systems for the most folks they are going to be aiming for a blended middle not either the Z4 or Z8. The one in the middle is going to be the closer match, but Apple is aiming specifically at none of them as a one-for-one 'killer' substitute. There is no individual z4 , z6 , or z8 'killer' as an objective.

Similarly on the Dell side the 5000 series would probably mutate to cover the W series socket change ( and loose some DIMM sockets to absorb the larger CPU socket. )

if Intel priced a W-22xx series better it would work better and the z4 and LGA-2066 board version of Dell 5000 don't have to disappear. Apple has similar needs with the iMac Pro. That may wait to a socket change window though.

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
It will depend on pricing. My total budget for the box is $8k, with an absolute upper max limit of $10k after sales tax, accessories, etc.

12 or 16-core, 16 if the jump up is <$500

One MPX Pro Vega II module I don't need dual or quad GPU, but I will want the additional TB ports that you don't get with the 580. This is also assuming it's not more than $1k for the step up from 580 to Vega II.

32GB, 4 sticks. I'll buy the other 2 sticks after purchase for 48GB total. I'm sure Apple's price for the extra 16GB will be absurd. Buying 3rd party may allow me to up the GPU or CPU. My application benefits from cores and bandwidth. Having 2 extra RAM channels will matter, especially if I get 16 cores.

256GB storage.

I'll immediately plug in my SI-PEX40129 dual M.2 PCIe card that already has a 512GB 960 PRO and 500GB 970 EVO on it.
Also will plug in my Sonnet SATA Tempo Pro that has two 2TB SSD's on it.
If it's in the budget, I'll add in an Intel Optane 905p.

Plan to test compatibility of the cheaper dual m.2 cards that don't have PCIe switches but require motherboard PCIe bifurcation support, which the 7,1 should have. Sell off the SI-PEX40129 if the Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 dual or Asus Hyper m.2 quad work ok. PCIe switches run hot. I don't need a pre-heater for my m.2 SSD's. I already have these cards in other production systems here that I can briefly pull for testing.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
For me, probably a 12-core or 16-core with base RAM (upgrade later via 3rd party options). And depending on price, Vega II or Vega II duo and the Afterburner card.

I'll just port over my PCIe cards from my current cMP as well, including my AJA Kona video I/O card. I've been thinking of maybe using my Vega FE in the beginning instead as well.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Still waiting on the GPU upgrade prices to se if this is even a feasible path, but if it is:
BTO: Upgrade to 12-core and 1 TB SSD.
I will then add a Pro Vega II later or maybe just a common Vega VII if possible. We also need to upgrade from the 4 ram sticks to six to enjoy the full bandwidth of the six channel memory bus, just using 4 would be a shame. But that is easy to add yourself, so no problem.

It is also possible that I will just upgrade to 1 TB and add everything myself later as money allows. I'm going to assume that the 16-core will be just as expensive to upgrade as to buy new and put in yourself and you would then have a Xeon 8-core to sell or use for another pc.

Can't wait to see the upgrade prices but it might be heartbreaking news.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
We also need to upgrade from the 4 ram sticks to six to enjoy the full bandwidth of the six channel memory bus, just using 4 would be a shame.
I wouldn't worry too much about the number of memory channels.

These CPUs have huge caches that more than mask most issues with 4 channel vs 6 channel memory. Some "memory virus" benchmarks show a significant advantage to 6 vs 4 - but most actual application benchmarks that use the cache show little difference.

Macpro2019

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
Still waiting on the GPU upgrade prices to se if this is even a feasible path, but if it is:
BTO: Upgrade to 12-core and 1 TB SSD.
I will then add a Pro Vega II later or maybe just a common Vega VII if possible. We also need to upgrade from the 4 ram sticks to six to enjoy the full bandwidth of the six channel memory bus, just using 4 would be a shame. But that is easy to add yourself, so no problem.

It is also possible that I will just upgrade to 1 TB and add everything myself later as money allows. I'm going to assume that the 16-core will be just as expensive to upgrade as to buy new and put in yourself and you would then have a Xeon 8-core to sell or use for another pc.

Can't wait to see the upgrade prices but it might be heartbreaking news.
I wish we know the price in advance.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
I guess 12c and Pro Vega II, not the Duo, just to ease into the new system. As soon as the higher tier CPUs start showing up on eBay, we'll all get busy upgrading. Baby steps.

Memory and SSD depend on prices and if there is any sort of hardware connection with the T2 chip preventing later user upgrades. I'm guessing we'll be able to upgrade ourselves with fitting components.

I'd actually rather put money into the display, which I think will be a thing of beauty. But I'll want to look at a few independent reviews before committing.

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Currently hoping I can afford 16c, 48GB ram, 1TB SSD, Pro Vega II Duo, Promise Pegasus J2i (for internal time machine drive).

The 16c has a turbo boost 3.0 of 4.6GHz, where the 12c has a turbo boost 3.0 of 4.5GHz. (see attached screenshot). I've been trying to read up about this and it sounds like turbo boost 3.0 can boost a single core to higher amounts. So good for working in single threaded Cinema4D tools, and photoshop. But it sounds like a PC has to have a driver to make this work, and so hope MacOS would also include this for this chip.

Do you think its worth getting a 16c because of Turbo Boost 3.0 is higher than 12c?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.58.51.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.58.51.png
    368.8 KB · Views: 209

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
According to the 7,1 product page, they're both 4.4GHz boost. Like you, I'm unsure that Apple/MacOS supports TurboBoost Max 3.0. The page stating they're all 4.4GHz seems to indicate that it does not support TBMT 3.0.

You'll never notice the difference between 5.4 and 4.6GHz. That's only a 2% increase, and it will only occur when all other cores are virtually at idle. A perfectly single-threaded and completely CPU-bound task that takes 60 seconds at 4.5GHz would take 58.7 seconds at 4.6GHz.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.04.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 11.04.19 AM.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: shuto

Macpro2019

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
I guess 12c and Pro Vega II, not the Duo, just to ease into the new system. As soon as the higher tier CPUs start showing up on eBay, we'll all get busy upgrading. Baby steps.

Memory and SSD depend on prices and if there is any sort of hardware connection with the T2 chip preventing later user upgrades. I'm guessing we'll be able to upgrade ourselves with fitting components.

I'd actually rather put money into the display, which I think will be a thing of beauty. But I'll want to look at a few independent reviews before committing.
Can t2 security chip be turned off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.