Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
anyone know the AIM foward thing to your cellphone using SMS.....do you think that would work?
This is limited to ten mins.... i rather have it on 24/7

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Looks great except I cant seem to log in. Cant wait to put it to use! This is the one thing I am really upset the phone is missing.

cdewitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
its on the top 5 at digg so the server is probably overloaded, i hope he puts on a bigger better server. once i did log in it was pretty incredible

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Nevermind, I got in. Looks really good! Cant wait to see Groups added and maybe a little more eye candy in the actual chat windows. This should do me just fine until Apple adds the functionality!

cdewitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
yea its very solid makes me more optimistic about these 2.0 apps

scootermafia

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2005
This is badass and it's only the beginning. There'll be an SDK soon enough...and these apps with some refinement will get the job done. It's so impressive for being so soon.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
its on the top 5 at digg so the server is probably overloaded, i hope he puts on a bigger better server. once i did log in it was pretty incredible

If I understood the comments correctly, it is already being put on other servers. When he lets us start paying him he will probably up the bandwidth. There is the Diggeffect for you!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Looks good...not quite as good as add new Apps, but I'm sure the huge iPhone following will result in a massive amount of 3rd party web apps.

Still a bummer, if one doesn't have an unlimited data plan, and does have an unlimited messaging plan

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
While this is promising, I'd rather not always have a Safari window open... I truly wish Apple would just develop iChat for the phone... it has to practically write itself... but I think AT&T prevents them from doing that, hoping people will go with their upgraded SMS plan.

hotdamn

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
just wondering, how can you close a chat?
also, having chats open in new windows would let you use safari's exposé like view on the iPhone.

Also, get the groups working and it's almost, dare I say, perfect.

Icebird

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Why has no one posted that this could be a potential security risk? Your username and password is being sent to the developer's webserver, and who knows what he's doing with it. He claims he isn't harvesting it, and he may not be, but I'd rather not take any chances.

I'd prefer using something like meebo.com which is used by millions of people and is a pretty big company now. It would only hurt their business for some kind of harvesting of passwords to take place.

From a recent blog post, they are going to be making it possible to use on the iPhone: http://blog.meebo.com/?p=323

Not to mention, meebo not only supports AIM, but also MSN, Gtalk, Jabber, ICQ, and Yahoo.

rcfa

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Looks pretty good- I also wonder about the security risk as well.

If you're worried about that, and that's basically justified: download the app, he provides the source, and run it on your own web server. That way you won't have to worry about the 10 minute time-out either.

The other key app, besides IM, is a terminal emulator. Again, there is a web based version around, incl. source, so that, too, you can run on your own server.

Now all I need is a VNC client or Java on that darn phone, and I have my portable system administration console...

Where's Apple Remote Desktop for the iPhone?

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
it doesn't work on the iphone

you're limited to the first like 15 people on your buddy list because it won't scroll

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I don't have an iPhone or plan to get one, but I agree that Meebo looks better: iPhoneChat doesn't appear to support MSN.

unfortunately, i can't get meebo to work with my iphone very well. in my many attempts to get it to work, i've been able to sign on two or three times, and i've never successfully sent a message. the problem is that there's no send button to push. i think this can be fixed on meebo's side, but the browser often crashes when i'm on the meebo website. :(

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
If you are using the full version of Meebo, what happens if you touch the 'Send' button on the page? I do not know Meebo, so just curious.

jstennis1591

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I can't get the iPhoneChat to format properly on my iphone.......it only takes up a tiny bit of the screen and when I go in to try and zoom in, it renders the scrolling fo the buddy list useless

Anyone have some pointers?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
If you are using the full version of Meebo, what happens if you touch the 'Send' button on the page? I do not know Meebo, so just curious.

well, there is no send button, which is a big reason why meebo won't work on the iphone. i'm sure this is something the meebo team could fix themselves, but, as i mentioned earlier, meebo often crashes on me when i try to login. i'm not sure what that's about. :(

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 846
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.