Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRainz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
What was it like switching from A flasgship android to a flagship iPhone.
Did less customizable options bother you over time?
I know iphone has many great features and great reliability, but can you get bored of it over time?

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
In the last few years and as recently as two months ago I came back from Pixel 4. (Pure Google Android)
camera was better than Xr. Customization meh. Devices are the same, google assistant better than Siri. Certain trade offs here and there. I’m in US. All family and friends on iPhone and thus iMessage, so that integration was key.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
In the last few years and as recently as two months ago I came back from Pixel 4. (Pure Google Android)
camera was better than Xr. Customization meh. Devices are the same, google assistant better than Siri. Certain trade offs here and there. I’m in US. All family and friends on iPhone and thus iMessage, so that integration was key.

Siri isn’t even in the same league as Google assistant.

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019

Comparing Pixel 4 camera vs XR camera?

Huh?

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I had Galaxy and note before.
Customizability was awesome. Liberating! But Apple watch brought me back. I have no complaints here.

ftrfrm

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
I’m coming from a pixel, long time android user here. Very happy with the 12, but honestly, the notifications suck compared to android. I use my phone for business and dealing with notifications take several more clicks/swipes to do what you can do on android. Other than that, no issues.

Adamb10

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2004
I came from an S10+. Only have had the regular iPhone 12 for a few days but my thoughts being my first iPhone....

• Switching is easy since Googles apps are on iOS.
  • The feel and build quality of the iphone 12 is pretty damn amazing. I cannot stop looking at the phone.
  • Face ID is magic.
  • Notch was not noticeable for me
  • My biggest challenge is the gestures with iOS, more specifically the gesture to open the app switcher. I seem to do it too fast and end up going to the home screen instead.
  • The (lack of) customizibility of iOS doesn't bother me much since they finally added widgets and changed the stale home screen.
  • Its nice not having to download apps or dig around 800 settings to babysit the battery or misbehaving apps. For example, Android has something like 3 battery saver settings, all doing something different
  • I like USB C more than lightning.
  • The iphone 12 doesn't like my wireless charging stand. I have to put it on sideways for it to charge.

Chevyman29

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
I've swapped back and forth a dozen times . But the last few times it's been from a pixel to a 11p or a new S whatever to a 11p . The biggest hurdles for me to over come has been the lack of a good calendar widget , the notifications not being as good and The lack of a t9 dialer that works.

On the plus side is the hardware. Certain aspects of iOS . And the fact that apple doesn't change up stuff in iOS for no apparent reason.
Biggest problem with Android is Google doing there best to out iPhone the iPhone. Every new version has several things that doesn't make a bit of sense . I finally got tired of changes for the sake of changes.
I run a business that feeds my family off my phone. I need rock solid communications with my customers via , phone , email, text . Whatever. I don't need any headaches with my phone.

iOS isn't as customizable but it does just work. Thats why I'm on a iPhone 12.

Chevyman29

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
Another thing I'm loving with iPhone they rarely go backwards with hardware.
With my pixels it was always a compromise . Great camera, poor video, great speakers , poor battery , great battery poor screen, great screen poor speakers. Every year you think this will be the year for the whole package but it never is.

Same can be said about Samsung. I actually gave my unlocked s20 to a friend because it was to frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.