Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I can’t see all my history, but since the Max came out one month later last year, I think we’re paying an extra month on the Max?
From 2019-2020 - paid 13 months?
From 2019-2021 - paid 11 months but will owe another 1 month to upgrade?
So essentially, the delay last year cost us 1 month on the Max.

Is that right, or am I missing something?

Reactions: compwiz1202

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
No...the agreement has always been that you can upgrade after 12 payments. We aren't paying "extra", we are fulfilling our contract terms.
This is not true since last year there was a delay. So if you've been a loyal annual upgrader - last year you paid an extra payment since it was delayed. And then this year, you have to pay an extra payment because you upgraded earlier.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
This is not true since last year there was a delay. So if you've been a loyal annual upgrader - last year you paid an extra payment since it was delayed. And then this year, you have to pay an extra payment because you upgraded earlier.
Well, yeah...I made 13 payments, but I also kept the phone for 13 months. I didn't expect a free month.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
It’s the extra payment this year that makes it more. I thought about paying out and trading in, but then I couldn’t do IUP (with a trade in) and decided I’m not ready to give up the easy switch out vs. re-selling/trading at that year’s value.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
No...the agreement has always been that you can upgrade after 12 payments. We aren't paying "extra", we are fulfilling our contract terms.
Last year we paid 12 installments and were not Abe to upgrade- the phone was delayed and so we had to pay 13. This year, we are forced to pay an extra payments. So in short, we are paying apple 16% more for our iPhone. so yes we are paying two extra payments.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
What phone did you use once Apple made you turn your phone in after 12 months?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I can’t see all my history, but since the Max came out one month later last year, I think we’re paying an extra month on the Max?
From 2019-2020 - paid 13 months?
From 2019-2021 - paid 11 months but will owe another 1 month to upgrade?
So essentially, the delay last year cost us 1 month on the Max.

Is that right, or am I missing something?
Actually two. You had to pay that 13th one because there was no new iPhone yet, and then you need to pay catchup to upgrade to the next iPhone which wasn't delayed.

kjotwani

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve been in IUP since it launched. But last year paid 1 extra payment (13), this year to upgrade have to make a advanced payment. Also Apple is paying $790 for a iPhone 12 Pro Max which is higher than the remaining loan amount.
This just didn’t make sense to me. So I decided to stop IUP this year, sold my iPhone for a handy profit and buying the 13 Pro Max outright.
Might opt-in next year but due to late release last year, the IUP is not advantageous (specially for 12 Pro Max)

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I mean it kind of depends on how you look at it. The program is written such that you pay 1/24th of the cost of the phone every month and after making 12 payments you can upgrade. While it seems fair to expect that the phones will be released 12 months apart there is no guarantee that will happen, and in this case you needed to pay for the extra month that you used the phone last year and this year you need to make an extra payment to fulfill the contract.

That said, personally I really think that iUP is a pretty awful deal. Even in the best case when you trade in the phone after 12 months you will only be saving 50% of the value of the phone. You can sell the phone on your own, or even trade it in for well over that. Right now apple is offering $790 for a trade in of a 12 pro max and some of the carriers are offering even more.

I get that there is some convenience in just being able to trade in the phone and get another, but exactly how much is that worth? Doing a trade in with apple isn’t really much more involved and can put you several hundred dollars ahead.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I mean it kind of depends on how you look at it. The program is written such that you pay 1/24th of the cost of the phone every month and after making 12 payments you can upgrade. While it seems fair to expect that the phones will be released 12 months apart there is no guarantee that will happen, and in this case you needed to pay for the extra month that you used the phone last year and this year you need to make an extra payment to fulfill the contract.

That said, personally I really think that iUP is a pretty awful deal. Even in the best case when you trade in the phone after 12 months you will only be saving 50% of the value of the phone. You can sell the phone on your own, or even trade it in for well over that. Right now apple is offering $790 for a trade in of a 12 pro max and some of the carriers are offering even more.

I get that there is some convenience in just being able to trade in the phone and get another, but exactly how much is that worth? Doing a trade in with apple isn’t really much more involved and can put you several hundred dollars ahead.
I don't like iUP anyhow because there is no way to pay the device off online. I always order through Apple and finance through VZW. I can go online with VZW, and in less than a minute, the device is paid off.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Here's my actual experience:
I pre-ordered the iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB. The monthly price is %58.25.
I am being charged $58.25 early upgrade payment and $58.25 first monthly installment plus tax.
So, there's your answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.