Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
OK, I'll admit it.. I got lazy. While using iOS over the years I've adopted the habit of tapping the microphone icon and using dictation instead of using the keyboard for text input. I rarely touch the keyboard on my iOS devices now. Sure, people look at me in public as if I'm crazy, but I wasn't placed here to live according to their rules.

I bought the 2019 MacBook Air last week and found an option within the keyboard settings (see attached screenshot) that allows the user to utilize dictation instead of the keyboard for text input - I'm creating this post with dictation right now. I typically have to make a couple of corrections while using dictation, but it seems to be much quicker and easier than input via keyboard. Granted, there are many situations which are not suited to the Dictation.

Full closure: Apple does have a keyboard replacement program for butterfly keyboards. However, I have owned two Apple laptops with butterfly keyboards and I've never experienced any problems with either one of them. But, for those who are worried about their current butterfly keyboard, try and see if dictation will work for you.. it may help alleviate some of the worry.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 5.22.11 AM.png

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
LOL. A much simpler work-around is an external keyboard. Dictation is no replacement for anyone who does a lot of typing, or anyone who has a job where they use their mac around other people, or anyone who spends their time typing things that aren’t conducive to dictation (e.g. any programmer), or anyone who uses their keyboard to enter their username and passwords (you want to say that aloud in front of other people?)

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
LOL. A much simpler work-around is an external keyboard. Dictation is no replacement for anyone who does a lot of typing, or anyone who has a job where they use their mac around other people, or anyone who spends their time typing things that aren’t conducive to dictation (e.g. any programmer), or anyone who uses their keyboard to enter their username and passwords (you want to say that aloud in front of other people?)

Why mention something that was already mentioned?
... Granted, there are many situations which are not suited to the Dictation...

Did you read the entire OP?
But, for those who are worried about their current butterfly keyboard...

Somehow I think you misunderstood the purpose of this thread.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.