Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2021
For undergrad CS Student is MacBook Pro 13" M1 useful ? I think CS student may need Mac native terminal / bash shell for scripting. Now Window 10 also support bash shell and linux subsystem. Most 3rd party softwares comes with intel x86_64 / AMD distributions, for example common development softwares for CS majors are Java and Oracle Database. There is no native support for apple ARM M1 processors. It need a x86_64 emulator (Rosetta) or use parallel or vmware. Thats more annoying to switch between Mac and VMs. ARM processors are originally designed as mobile processor and tiny devices. I believe thats the reason Apple still keeps intel processors for high end laptops and ARM M1 processor for household users and non-CS students.

In order to get Mac intel i7 11th generation processor , we need to pay extra premium price. Where as windows laptop manufactures provides i7 , 16 GB RAM , SSD with just a small fraction of Apple price tag. E.g. Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 i7,AMOLED, touch screen, metal body , thiner and lighter than Apple.

IMHO MacBook M1 laptop is useless / annoying for CS students, I would prefer cheaper windows i7 laptops instead of paying extra premium for Apple intel laptops.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
For a CompSci, I'd go with a PC dual-boot or VM Win/Linux. If going the VM route, max out the RAM. There are lots of compilers for Linux and they're free.

Anyhow, get whichever machine connects to Stack Overflow the best.? Or would that be considered cheating??

Reactions: rpmbp

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
As a Computer Science student (now starting my master's degree), you can do it with Windows, but a Unix platform is by far preferred. A Mac or Linux machine will make your life a hell of a lot easier.
Also, Java will very soon have an M1 native release, as will plenty of other jet non-native environments. But Rosetta 2 often runs any given software better than the native, comparable machine, x86 chip would anyway.

The one exception is developing Android applications, since Google haven't yet made the Android Emulator run under Apple Silicon's virtualisation extensions, only x86 VT-D.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I think it really depends on what the particular program emphasizes. Some are very Windows/Linux centric. Others are mostly Linux/Unix. Most have specific requirements for what you must be able to run. Advanced courses may require software that only runs on limited platforms. Be informed before you buy.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
ARM processors are originally designed as mobile processor and tiny devices. I believe thats the reason Apple still keeps intel processors for high end laptops and ARM M1 processor for household users and non-CS students.

IMHO MacBook M1 laptop is useless / annoying for CS students, I would prefer cheaper windows i7 laptops instead of paying extra premium for Apple intel laptops.

Honestly, I don't think you know what you are talking about. Apple will switch all its computers to ARM M1 (or the next generation M2) as soon as they can. They can only have made so many of these new chips right away, but Apple has released its last computer with an Intel chip for the foreseeable future.

And while you pay a premium for an Apple laptop (barely any premium when you actually compare the Apple laptop to a fully comparable PC), you will get that premium amount back when you resell it in a few years. Or you will get a tremendous amount of value if you use it for a long time.

rpmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2021
you will get that premium amount back when you resell it in a few years. Or you will get a tremendous amount of value if you use it for a long time.

I was proud owner of two MacBooks ( 2016 model MBP 13 inch i7 /16GB and Late 2014 model MBP 15 inch i7/16 GB ). Both are useless now. MBP 13 inch is having backlight issue showing below. Apple currently having backlight replacement program, unfortunately Apple tech support genius people said, they are replacing only vertical backlight issue free of cost, but to fix horizontal backlight issue, I should pay $470. When I ask to trade-In my MBP 13 inch for M1 chip laptop, genius people disclosed it trade in value $0. But they generously offered to do free recycle, absolutely free of cost. Thats how I realized the real value of these $1500 / $2000 dollar MBP after 4-5 years.

Now Apple can't sell me their value proposition. All electronics products are designed to dump in max 5-6 years (here talking about engineering usage average 8 hours per day ). If someone able to stretch it beyond 6 years , may be they are picked up by lucky draw. So let me keep the long term value proposition aside because they all are same.

Now I am comparing the real computing value (processor models and RAM ). HP/Dell/Lenovo etc. with i7 / 16 GB/SSD laptops costs 50% less price than Apple i7 / 16 GB laptop. Since Apple i7 / 16 GB cost double the price, it's not even worth comparing, thats why I am comparing with cheaper Apple models under $1200 which is M1 processor. If Apple is all about metal body laptops, then Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 i7,AMOLED, touch screen, metal body is thiner and lighter. Why am I even comparing M1, may be I'm still a Mac fan.

Since I'm buying for an undergrad CS student, I think Windows with linux subsystem or linux partition will be better.

Attachments

• mbp13_2016.jpeg
    mbp13_2016.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 272

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Since I'm buying for an undergrad CS student
As mentioned above, you should see if the CS Department at the school the student will be attending has any recommended systems or specific configuration requirements before buying anything. You might also want to check what student discounts are offered by the school's computer store/bookstore.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I was proud owner of two MacBooks ( 2016 model MBP 13 inch i7 /16GB and Late 2014 model MBP 15 inch i7/16 GB ). Both are useless now. MBP 13 inch is having backlight issue showing below. Apple currently having backlight replacement program, unfortunately Apple tech support genius people said, they are replacing only vertical backlight issue free of cost, but to fix horizontal backlight issue, I should pay $470. When I ask to trade-In my MBP 13 inch for M1 chip laptop, genius people disclosed it trade in value $0. But they generously offered to do free recycle, absolutely free of cost. Thats how I realized the real value of these $1500 / $2000 dollar MBP after 4-5 years.

Now Apple can't sell me their value proposition. All electronics products are designed to dump in max 5-6 years (here talking about engineering usage average 8 hours per day ). If someone able to stretch it beyond 6 years , may be they are picked up by lucky draw. So let me keep the long term value proposition aside because they all are same.

Now I am comparing the real computing value (processor models and RAM ). HP/Dell/Lenovo etc. with i7 / 16 GB/SSD laptops costs 50% less price than Apple i7 / 16 GB laptop. Since Apple i7 / 16 GB cost double the price, it's not even worth comparing, thats why I am comparing with cheaper Apple models under $1200 which is M1 processor. If Apple is all about metal body laptops, then Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 i7,AMOLED, touch screen, metal body is thiner and lighter. Why am I even comparing M1, may be I'm still a Mac fan.

Since I'm buying for an undergrad CS student, I think Windows with linux subsystem or linux partition will be better.
Enjoy. Those PC computers might turn out perfect for you.
Sorry you had a bad experience with your MacBook and got a lemon. I wouldn't take the "trade in value" as being reflective of market value for a used device. You won't get much for a trade in. I've always sold Apple products when I'm done with them. You can do a simple search on Ebay and see prices. You might be surprised. Typically I do that first, then post my listing on craigslist. I live in a US city, so I can always find someone who wants to meet up and pay cash. Then I don't have to worry about shipping and they can inspect the device first and see that it works.

Of course, if the laptop needs a screen repair, it ain't going to sell for much. But it will sell for hundreds of dollars as long as it only has one thing wrong with it and it otherwise boots up. Someone will buy it, replace the screen, and then resell it for a profit. Or they will attach it to a monitor and keyboard and rock it that way.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
When I got my CS degree, having a Mac in my bag was a huge benefit. My 12” PowerBook G4 got me through my degree, and that couldn’t run Windows either ;)

Granted, that was a decade ago now. As others have mentioned though, check with the university and their program directors. See what their software requirements are like.

Reactions: casperes1996
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.