Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I'm having an issue with setting up AirPrint on an HP LaserJet Pro M203dw and the HP Smart software. The issue is the HP Smart software to setup the wireless requires my router to be in 2.4Ghz mode. The printer has no LCD to setup the wireless, it requires the HP Smart software.

My router is a Spectrum SAC2V1A, that does mixed mode 5Ghz/2.4Ghz on one SSID and the HP Smart software won't proceed as my wifi connection from my Mac is 5Ghz mode. So I need to figure how to force my Wifi card to connect to the router in 2.4Ghz mode.

Code:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport -s
                            SSID BSSID             RSSI CHANNEL HT CC SECURITY (auth/unicast/group)
                SpectrumSetup-68 fa:6a:1f:39:75:69 -50  11,-1   Y  US WPA2(PSK/AES/AES)
                SpectrumSetup-68 fa:6a:1f:39:75:6a -46  44      Y  US WPA2(PSK/AES/AES)
      DIRECT-5f-HP M203 LaserJet 96:53:30:8a:28:5f -56  6       Y  -- WPA2(PSK/AES/AES)

As we can see 2.4Ghz mode is channel 11 and 5Ghz is 44, but I can't figure how to force the connection to channel 11, it just keeps connecting to channel 44( 5Ghz ).

This command should force channel 11, but it's not working, just keeps connecting to channel 44.

Code:
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport --channel=11

Sadly the Spectrum app for the iPhone has no option to set the router to 2.4Ghz mode, it auto switches between the two modes on thew Same SSID.

Can anyone help with this?

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
HP and their useless HP "SMART" software.

Anyway, connect the printer with USB, System Preferences>Printers and Scanners>HP LaserJet M203>Settings>Show Printer Webpage>Wireless Configuration.

Setup you SSID and Password for your Wifi connection or other settings, then you are all set and can disconnect USB.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Find the gateway IP address for your Spectrum router and login to the admin interface of the router. There are websites that document the default usernames and passwords for most routers.

Within the admin interface, you might be able to turn off the combined wireless mode and display two SSIDs instead of one.
----------------
I equally hate the direction HP is going with their insistence on forcing accounts to setup printers. I just saw that they are requiring an HP account to use their WindowsSupport Assistant software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.