Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Seems force to send SMS to someone who's on iMessage is no longer possible... Any ideas?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems force to send SMS to someone who's on iMessage is no longer possible... Any ideas?
Are you trying this with an iMessage that hasn't been delivered yet?

What iOS version and what device?

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Latest 12.2 and indeed, it does show delivered... Probably to some other device which is online not my friend who is roaming in germany somewhere... So I guess that's the issue..

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
It's very annoying iMessage is linked to the sim card, and doesn't use a more flexible system like whatsapp, which allows you to use the same number even if you switch sim cards temporarily.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
What about disabling iMessages in Settings before sending? Also you can try turning off cell data and Wi-Fi, it should send as SMS.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What about disabling iMessages in Settings before sending? Also you can try turning off cell data and Wi-Fi, it should send as SMS.

I really wish we did NOT have to do this.

I find the ONLY way to force send as SMS without screwing with disabling ... which requires you to RE-Initiate iMessage registration once it turns back on again ... is when you're out of any network connectivity. You send an iMessage which fails and is paused until network connectivity is re-initiated, and before that occurs tap and hold the send icon and you have send as sms ... yet will only work once you of carrier connection ... so initially it'll fail yet hold and then you send and it'll goto SMS.

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
Yes, indeed that’s a problem. I can’t send SMS if the cellular/WiFi connectivity is poor.. disabling iMessage is the solution

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
It's very annoying iMessage is linked to the sim card, and doesn't use a more flexible system like whatsapp, which allows you to use the same number even if you switch sim cards temporarily.

Can we not send an iMessage as an iCloud user instead of a phone number user?

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Can we not send an iMessage as an iCloud user instead of a phone number user?

Yes, but you can't keep them linked unless your sim remains active. And once a thread starts with a phone number, you can't switch. So if someone starts a conversation on your phone number, and you swap sims, those messages will stop coming. Unless you send them another message first from your iCloud account.

It's incredibly clumsy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.