Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Hello,

How can I force shutdown/reboot without having to quit some applications manually which cancels the shutdown/reboot process ?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello,

How can I force shutdown/reboot without having to quit some applications manually which cancels the shutdown/reboot process ?
If you mean your Mac won't shut down because an app is hanging, you can either use Activity Monitor or Command-Option-Esc to force quite the app, or you can press and hold your power button until your Mac shuts off.

etsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Hello, thanks for the reply. I mean that the shutdown/reboot process aborts because I have to close some applications manually that are running fine in the background. I just want to force shutdown/reboot whatever application runs in the background.

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello, thanks for the reply. I mean that the shutdown/reboot process aborts because I have to close some applications manually that are running fine in the background. I just want to force shutdown/reboot whatever application runs in the background.
Normally, selecting shut down or restart should close everything. Sometimes an app or process hangs and must be manually forced to quit, using the methods I posted. You may be able to fix it by uninstalling/reinstalling the app in question.

etsi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
The apps don't hangup because they work fine when I close them manually. For some reason I have to close them manually ( not force quit).

Anyway this works sudo shutdown -r now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.