Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MM022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Is there a place to edit a plist or enforce that anytime you create a Time Machine on a drive it forces the "Encrypt Backup Disk" is checked off?

Trying to setup work machines, and want user to be able to use Time Machine but make sure all backup disks are encrypted.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I do not think that there is something like that. Even if you could disable it there, a user could always reverse the encryption through other means. The biggest problem is that enabling and managing Time Machine itself requires root privileges and this kind of access will also allow these other changes. The best way is to set up and approve the drives manually before and store the encryption keys in the System keychain.

Reactions: Weaselboy

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
I should have added the subtitle of the white paper: Deploying OS X Full Disk Encryption Technology. Years have passed since I read the document in its entirety but from what I recall, some of the logic may be applicable in a Time Machine context.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.