Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
The issue is having lived all these years without it so it has yet to become part of my workflow. I always forget it is there ... also the inconsistency between iDevices does not do it any favor. Speaking of iPad

I'm definitely still figuring out how to add it into my workflow and what sort of touch is needed. I switched from an iPhone 5 a week ago, so I have a couple generations of updates to learn.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I like it a lot actually, use it pretty regularly in the Music app and other apps as well for shortcuts. It'd be easy for me to live without but I like having it.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
You people... quite a few of you have made some valid points. I have just turned it back on and set to "firm". I am not sure if I should say thanks at this point, haha!

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I've grown tired of how precise the force must be, even for simple tasks like moving/deleting Home Screen icons. I have the 7+ since launch and have tried/tested Force Touch for many different tasks over many months, but IMO the cons don't outweigh the pros. It just seems to get in the way 99% of the time. Does any else think Force Touch is a PITA? Or found it useful as a whole?
I use it regularly for many things. For a list of my frequent uses, see here: #27

You people... quite a few of you have made some valid points. I have just turned it back on and set to "firm". I am not sure if I should say thanks at this point, haha!

I was going to mention that you can disable it or adjust its sensitivity, but it looks like others beat me to it. :)

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Oh another one. I love using it for precise cursor placement. If you haven't tried it, force touch anywhere on the default keyboard and move your finger around. Watch in amazement as the cursor zips around the text. This assumes you have already typed something. :)

I turned the sensitivity up and now it all seems much better. The cursor placement trick is pretty slick, thanks for that tip!

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I never really use it. Now that the option is there, I will probably just turn it off.

I also almost never use the finger gestures either whether it be on my phone or my Mac. I think the only one of those I use is the slide to the right to go back.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
Will never buy any future phone that doesn't have some sort of pressure sensitivity. Way too useful, especially the way Apple has implemented 3D Touch. It's a no-brainer. Imagine using real-world objects like a pedal or pen where degrees of pressure didn't matter. Maddening.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015

Why would you have turned it off. If you don't want to use it just don't force touch.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Out of curiosity, what's different when it comes to the copy option?

When I try to copy a text message for example in the messages section, or when I try to copy a picture from the camera section.
The options that pop up when you try to copy something are different with force touch turned off than it is when turned on.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I didn't like it in the beginning. I don't know if software updates made it more accurate, or I just got used to it. But I like FT quite a lot now. Useful for moving my cursor, and for previewing gifs I send in FB Messenger.

Reactions: I7guy

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I love it for app icon shortcuts and switching between apps. Very natural and saves the Home button.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I am with the OP. Practically never use 3D Touch and find it annoying on occasion. The main problem with it is that there are no visual clues it's there. User has no idea which UI elements are 3D touchable. that's a recipe for non-use for most people. I know it is for me. I don't spend time 3D touching various things to see if they will do anything. And even if I find out that something is 3D touchable I usually don't think about it in regular use because there are no visual clues to remind me about it.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
I don't miss it at all. Long press on instagram as good. Only time it might be useful is on waze harder one press to home.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I use it for saving or copying images from Safari quite often. Quickly adding an event to my calendar. Quickly diving into wifi or battery settings. Quickly calling a favorite contact. Quickly sending a message to certain people rather then scrolling looking for their name or entering it manually. Setting a timer. Also use it for checking links really quick in safari at times where I'm confident the information the link will present isn't what I'm looking but still want to verify it anyway.

A few of those things I use Siri for first but if people are around I tend not to use Siri.

I didn't realize how much I used force touch until I started listing things.

EDIT: Forgot, I by far use it the most for moving the cursor around.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I really like force touch and use it hourly for many different tasks. I think it truly enhances the OS and the usability of the devices, mostly around efficiency and functionality. That said, I think the problem with force touch is that most people (making no judgements here) are not really capable of three dimensional thinking, or thinking through a decision tree, and that is what force touch facilitates with the device. Its difficult enough to have people TOUCH correctly, touch and HOLD correctly (most people outside this forum have trouble deleting apps, they can't seem to figure out how to get the apps to 'jiggle').. so 3D touch is just yet another challenge for them. It seems to take a LOT of time to get people to learn new behaviors and condition them to them.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The sole use of force touch for me is when typing to position the cursor.

Other than that, nothing else.

Could not agree more. It is useless and does enhance the experience at all in most places. For example, in mail it is just a huge waste.

It is the same way on the mac....a complete waste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.