Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdubyeah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I purchased my Apple Watch SS in mid October. Out of the box, force touch did not work but a simple force restart fixed the issue.

About a week later, force touch became unresponsive again. The only fix was erasing the watch and setting it up as new.

It happened a third time and I went to the Genius Bar and they shipped it in to be inspected. The inspection facility could not duplicate the problem (my guess is because you have to erase and reset the watch to fix it so it was working for them once they received it) and sent it back. A couple weeks later it started happening again so I went back to the Genius Bar and they had to ship it in again. Again, the inspectors claimed they could not duplicate the issue and sent it back.

It happened yet again over Christmas and this time not even an erase/set up as new fixed it the first time, but it worked the second time.

And now it has happened yet again and the earliest Genius Bar appointment I can make is for Tuesday next week. This time I will let them know that if they send back the same watch to me I am not going to be pleased.

So far in three months of owning the watch I have had to erase and set up as new seven or eight times. This should not be my normal experience.

Anyone else have this problem? Did you get the watch replaced under warranty?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I purchased my Apple Watch SS in mid October. Out of the box, force touch did not work but a simple force restart fixed the issue.

About a week later, force touch became unresponsive again. The only fix was erasing the watch and setting it up as new.

It happened a third time and I went to the Genius Bar and they shipped it in to be inspected. The inspection facility could not duplicate the problem (my guess is because you have to erase and reset the watch to fix it so it was working for them once they received it) and sent it back. A couple weeks later it started happening again so I went back to the Genius Bar and they had to ship it in again. Again, the inspectors claimed they could not duplicate the issue and sent it back.

It happened yet again over Christmas and this time not even an erase/set up as new fixed it the first time, but it worked the second time.

And now it has happened yet again and the earliest Genius Bar appointment I can make is for Tuesday next week. This time I will let them know that if they send back the same watch to me I am not going to be pleased.

So far in three months of owning the watch I have had to erase and set up as new seven or eight times. This should not be my normal experience.

Anyone else have this problem? Did you get the watch replaced under warranty?

Do you have Applecare+ on the watch? If so, call the number and demand they replace your watch.

bdubyeah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Do you have Applecare+ on the watch? If so, call the number and demand they replace your watch.
No AppleCare but it's still within warranty. Instead of waiting until Tuesday for the Genius Bar appointment I decided to go with chat support this time around. I explained everything that was going on and they were able to look and see that I had already sent the product in twice for the same issue. They went ahead and marked my support ticket as a "forced replacement" which will skip over any diagnostics or inspections this time around. They will simply send me a replacement watch once they receive my current one. Just waiting on the box to arrive now.

Reactions: Armen

bdubyeah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
No AppleCare but it's still within warranty. Instead of waiting until Tuesday for the Genius Bar appointment I decided to go with chat support this time around. I explained everything that was going on and they were able to look and see that I had already sent the product in twice for the same issue. They went ahead and marked my support ticket as a "forced replacement" which will skip over any diagnostics or inspections this time around. They will simply send me a replacement watch once they receive my current one. Just waiting on the box to arrive now.
Received my replacement watch in the mail today and it is noticeably smoother to operate than the previous one which was causing so many problems. I used to have to really apply force to activate force touch (if force touch was working at all). This replacement seems to operate more like what I expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.