Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puttputt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
This little project between Ford and Microsoft to drop an interface into Ford vehicles to "sync" our little electronic gadgets with voice activation and all seems a bit over the top (the product is called "Sync"... ooooh aaaaah).

Personally and in my opinion: I think Ford Motor Company has wasted another pile of money and effort to get this going. Because:
1. $1000? too much money.
2. Do I need an in-car computer when I have a laptop? no.
3. I buy Ford vehicles. I have all the gadgets. I don't like Microsoft. Hmm.
4. All I want to do is have a port on my car stereo to plug in my iPod. nothing more. (who the heck has a need to do "EVERYDAY COMPUTER FUCTIONS" on their in-dash computer?)

I really can't imagine a focus group of intelligent people (who are inclined to buy the Ford Focus) giving the development team a thumbs up on this one.

What do you think?

Snippets from article in Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com)::::::
Ford, Microsoft make a connection
Sync car option price not finalized
January 8, 2007
BY SARAH A. WEBSTER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
Pricing on the new Ford-Microsoft Sync system, introduced at the North American International Auto Show media preview Sunday, could determine whether the technology is a success or failure for Ford...
The technology, based on the Microsoft Auto computer operating system, represents a new frontier in information, entertainment and communications in vehicles. Sync will provide a centralized, wireless, voice-operated manager for phone calls, digital music, text messaging and other everyday computer functions.
...Ford Motor Co., which has the exclusive right to the technology through the end of 2008, plans to put the system in 12 vehicles, starting with 2008 models...
.... likely to cost less than $1,000...
...called the technology "an absolute dynamite announcement ... maybe one of the most important at the show."
...wouldn't address how Ford and Microsoft agreed to share revenue from the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.