Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
We just picked up my wife's new 2022 Ford Edge last night. It came with SYNC 4 and wireless CarPlay... so far, it's simply amazing. It connects quickly and flawlessly, so far...

One other thing Ford did with SYNC4 is provide more granular name for the device within CarPlay (Settings > General > CarPlay)... under SYNC 3, all devices identify themselves simply as "SYNC 3"... with SYNC 4, her car shows up as "Ford Edge". My Ford Ranger with SYNC 3 still reports itself as "SYNC 3", but at least now I can identify the specific vehicle at a glance.

Sadly, SYNC 4 is only offered on the 2022 Ford Edge and the 2022 Ford F-150.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.PNG
    IMG_1751.PNG
    572.1 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
We have a '21 F-150 with wireless CarPlay and, I agree, it's amazing. It works much better than the wired CarPlay in our previous two vehicles, a Subaru and a BMW. Instead of constantly fussing with it as was required before, I now just get in to the truck and it's ready to use. A major step forward in convenience and usability.

Jess wilson

Suspended
Dec 19, 2021
los angeles
We have a '21 F-150 with wireless CarPlay and, I agree, it's amazing. It works much better than the wired CarPlay in our previous two vehicles, a Subaru and a BMW. Instead of constantly fussing with it as was required before, I now just get in to the truck and it's ready to use. A major step forward in convenience and usability.
I am using Carlinkit 4.0, it supports wireless carplay/android auto, covert wired carplay/android auto to wireless

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I don't have a Ford so I can't try it myself, but looks like you can install software updates: https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-updates/how-do-i-install-sync-updates-using-a-usb/

I've done a similar thing on my Prius, and it fixed quite a few bugs I had experienced. Not sure if you can get SYNC 4 on your Ford, but at least possibly get *some* new features/bug fixes.
I keep my software up to date... no problems really... but you cannot get from SYNC3 to SYNC4 - there is no upgrade path for that.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Sadly, SYNC 4 is only offered on the 2022 Ford Edge and the 2022 Ford F-150.

This isn't true. Sync 4 is available on the new Lincoln Nautilus and Navigator, as well as the Mustang Mach-E and the Ford Bronco. I have it in my Lincoln Nautilus, and it works great wirelessly.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I saw Paul Rankin watch Youtube and play games on his car's screen, seems so cool.

Cool, possibly... but incredibly irresponsible... people crash and burn changing the radio station, imagine how dangerous watching a video or playing a game would be... that's a ID-10-T error waiting to happen.

Jess wilson

Suspended
Dec 19, 2021
los angeles
Cool, possibly... but incredibly irresponsible... people crash and burn changing the radio station, imagine how dangerous watching a video or playing a game would be... that's a ID-10-T error waiting to happen.
Maybe the main reason is watching a video or playing a game all during the lunch breaks.

Jess wilson

Suspended
Dec 19, 2021
los angeles
Maybe that is especially for the front passenger seat. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.