Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cplindem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
I'm taking my 3G abroad with me for a month to Dublin, London, and Spain. I'm wondering what is the best way to power my 3G.

It would be sweet if I could simply use my existing USB cable, but I'm not positive that I would be able to consistently find an available computer to charge from.
I of course have Apple's standard USB Power Adapter, but it doesn't fit in foreign outlets.
I could buy Apple's UK USB Power Adapter and presumably Spain's as well.
Could I simply add an International Power-Plug Adapter to the end of my standard USB Power Adapter?
Or is the best option to purchase a portable battery charger?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I would suggest one of the following...

1) Use a standard Apple USB power supply (Or AirPort Express), then purchase the Apple International Adapters, and change out the US plug for the foriegn plugs.
2) Purchase a USB power supply in the UK, and get the EU adapters for it.
3) Purchase a Car-Charger for your iPod and charge your iPod while in vehicles.

TEG

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I would suggest one of the following...

1) Use a standard Apple USB power supply (Or AirPort Express), then purchase the Apple International Adapters, and change out the US plug for the foriegn plugs.

TEG
All useful, but #3 might be a better way to go. It can be bought in the US prior to the trip, and still used once back. :D Assuming the OP will have access to a car. :p

cplindem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
How do the International Adapters work with the standard USB power supply? I can't figure out what plugs into them. The images on that link only show a strange looking two-pronged male connector. What does that connect to? Certainly not a USB cable, and nothing on the standard USB power supply looks like that. Did you intend to say "UK USB power supply"? It looks like that one has 2-parts. Perhaps the middle has that two-pronged female connector?
Why not just buy US to EU and US to UK adapters for my existing USB Power adapter?
Yeah no car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.