Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Wow I just got my account opened with their service and its awesome. Of course it's wifi only, but the calls are 8c Austrailian which is about 6cents US. And thats not per minute, thats 6 cents per call untimed, talk as long as you want, I didnt get any delay and the call quality was better than my AT&T calls are!

They even have a plan thats $5 Austrailian which is about $3.50 US and with it you get 80 free untimed calls, plus the 6 cents per call, calls after that.

Im sold on them until Skype comes out with an official app. And they do provide SIP so you could use them with Fring if you really wanted to. But there is a native PennyTel app on the iTunes store, just search voip or pennytel.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
ok let's see...hmmm

so with their "unlimited plan" I pay $3.5 a month and I only pay $.06 PER call. NOT minute, right? so say I called someone overseas (in a country in their $0.08 list) and talked for 3 hours, and that's only $.06 (us) ????? and also I get 80 free calls like that?? meaning, if I make less than 80 calls a month, I don't even pay that *$0.06*??

So in a nutshell, I pay $3.5 a month and talk for hoursssss....???

That sounds too good to be true....

Oh also I read their FAQs, it says that they actually charge for your 80 free calls but at the end of the billing cycle, they refund the total amount? WTF ?? !! What's the need for that?
I smell something fishy!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I just want to be able to Skype World; then I'll actually consider the phone.

svtguy08

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
CA
So I signed up for a free account as well as my girlfriend. I want to use the "Free talk on PennyTel to PennyTel Network", so how do I go about that? I tried calling my girlfriends pennytel number but it says insufficient funds. But why would I have to give them a credit card to use their "free" inter-network calling?

Any help would be great. Thanks

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
The plans definitely look pretty attractive, almost too good to be true.
From reading the comments in the AppStore, one user said he had trouble getting validation for credit card because of the AUD and the USD conversion.
Does anyone have an actual working account? I'd be interested in hearing more about actual experience with it.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
The plans definitely look pretty attractive, almost too good to be true.
From reading the comments in the AppStore, one user said he had trouble getting validation for credit card because of the AUD and the USD conversion.
Does anyone have an actual working account? I'd be interested in hearing more about actual experience with it.

I had the same problem with getting my card verified because of the conversion but the support people kept working with me and after about 2 days they got it done and my account is working. The call quality was crystal clear for me and no delay. You can even call their support and talk right to a live person for free from the app itself, but you'll have to do email to work on the credit card issue if it happens to you as well. Remember they're working on Australia time as well, not US time.

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2007
If I understand PennyTel's Callback feature correctly, this may be the killer app that makes me buy an iphone. I've been waffling about it, but I make a lot of international calls, and not always from places where I have wifi.

"If you are out of WiFi range then you can use the convenient Callback button. PennyTel will call you first, then connect to your destination. This means you get PennyTel's great rate on the incoming call too."

Callback seems to allow you to make international calls for voip rates even if you don't have WiFi. It'll use ATT phone minutes, since you'll essentially be speaking on a telephone call that you received, but that seems to be a small price to pay.

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
If I understand PennyTel's Callback feature correctly, this may be the killer app that makes me buy an iphone. I've been waffling about it, but I make a lot of international calls, and not always from places where I have wifi.

"If you are out of WiFi range then you can use the convenient Callback button. PennyTel will call you first, then connect to your destination. This means you get PennyTel's great rate on the incoming call too."

Callback seems to allow you to make international calls for voip rates even if you don't have WiFi. It'll use ATT phone minutes, since you'll essentially be speaking on a telephone call that you received, but that seems to be a small price to pay.

Before Fring if I needed to call using skype, I use the web app IM+ For Skype that also works by callback. The drawback with callback on IM+ For Skype is that you can potentially be paying for three calls: first for skype to call out to the destination, second for skype to call you where ever you are, and if you are on a mobile phone, the third is the cost of the mobile minutes.

The good news with PennyTel if it indeed works as advertised, is that it's so cheap to call at just 6 cents per call, it's still a bargain at 12 cents per call and not as big of a deal as it was with IM+ For Skype.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas

it works the way you are asking. you would have to pay for both calls, the call to you at the number you choose and the call to whoever its connecting you too. but if youre on one of the untimed packages then it would only be 12c for an untimed call using callback.

RiGo

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
If anyone has managed to receive calls using their "Traditional" numbers, can you please chime in?

I can make calls fine, but I can't receive calls. It goes straight to voice mail. I called support and they changed the voice mail timeout from 0 to 30sec but it still won't work and they can't seem to be able to figure out what's happening.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
If anyone has managed to receive calls using their "Traditional" numbers, can you please chime in?

I can make calls fine, but I can't receive calls. It goes straight to voice mail. I called support and they changed the voice mail timeout from 0 to 30sec but it still won't work and they can't seem to be able to figure out what's happening.

i dont know, i thought the traditional numbers thing was an Australian feature only so i havent bothered with it. im on the straight up 8c untimed plan without a monthly fee, i just top up $5 AUD whenever i want and pay 8c per call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.