Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uniqueuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
So, my iPhone is completely disabled after I forgot passcode to it. I have no backups, no iCloud, no nothing. Is there a chance in this entire universe by which I can get any iPhone pictures back after doing complete factory wipeout? Any third-party program, any means by which this is possible? Do I need to consult the Dark Web, or write an email to Steve Jobs? What do I do?

I'm not sure what the latest IOS I was running, but it is an iPhone SE.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How did it get to a completely locked out state? Doesn't it take many tries with many timed lockouts in between to get there?

Reactions: NoBoMac

uniqueuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Guys, can we stay on topic? The question is not why I forgot the password, or why I have a brand new account on Mac Rumors. The question is, is there a way to unlock or recover data after I've been completely locked out?

Yes, I don't have any more tries to unlock my iphone. It tells me to connect to iTunes and tells me to do total wipe out.
[doublepost=1513817301][/doublepost]
Use the force to unlock the phone.
What's that?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
This thread should be locked, and if you have a new phone ask Apple for support who will identify you as the rightful owner.

Reactions: bruinsrme

uniqueuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
This thread should be locked, and if you have a new phone ask Apple for support who will identify you as the rightful owner.
I did go to Apple Store and they told me that the only way to get the phone back is to do factory reset. If I do factory reset, I will lose all the data, and I'm trying to see if that can be prevented.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I allowed a family member borrow a phone. They didn’t remove the passcode.

Simple proof of ownership and Apple was able to help me.

Of course there was proof of ownership.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Probably the fbi or Apple has the tech but if they paid mucho $$$ to unlock the San Bernardino shooter I’m guessing you won’t find a easy solution on macforums unless you have uber resources.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I allowed a family member borrow a phone. They didn’t remove the passcode.

Simple proof of ownership and Apple was able to help me.

Of course there was proof of ownership.
What would ownership have to do with anything in this case? Apple doesn't bypass passcodes.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
What would ownership have to do with anything in this case? Apple doesn't bypass passcodes.
my post is full of non-sense similar to the TS.

No clue what the passcode is or even the iOS. However has the knowledge to pay a visit here, open an account and ask a very point question with detail.
I have to run to the store to pick up cookies and milk for Santa

Reactions: cyb3rdud3 and macTW

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If the phone is locked due to too many password attempts, it's already wiped. Nothing to recover in that the flash storage is encrypted when a password is set, and the encryption keys for that are what gets wiped during too many password attempts and or factory reset.

That said, yeah, how does one forget their password when each time the phone is powered up requires one to enter the password. Or when one has five failed fingerprint attempts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If the phone is locked due to too many password attempts, it's already wiped. Nothing to recover in that the flash storage is encrypted when a password is set, and the encryption keys for that are what gets wiped during too many password attempts and or factory reset.

That said, yeah, how does one forget their password when each time the phone is powered up requires one to enter the password. Or when one has five failed fingerprint attempts.
Doesn't that only happen if the erase option on too many failed attempts is enabled in settings?

As far as how it could happen, while I don't know any specifics here or want to make any assumptions, as far as just possibilities go, one of the perhaps more common/likely ones might be someone who doesn't use the device for a while (perhaps it's a secondary or older device or something like that) and then tries to use it again.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Doesn't that only happen if the erase option on too many failed attempts is enabled in settings?

Correct. But from what the OP has posted, sounds like this what happened. Not having done this myself, guessing the message they are getting would be what one sees after 10 failed attempts and erase (guessing that with the erase option off, will still let you enter passwords, just will take one hour between attempts).

So, my iPhone is completely disabled after I forgot passcode to it.

Yes, I don't have any more tries to unlock my iphone. It tells me to connect to iTunes and tells me to do total wipe out.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
So, my iPhone is completely disabled after I forgot passcode to it. I have no backups, no iCloud, no nothing. Is there a chance in this entire universe by which I can get any iPhone pictures back after doing complete factory wipeout? Any third-party program, any means by which this is possible? Do I need to consult the Dark Web, or write an email to Steve Jobs? What do I do?

The answer is no, there is no way to get the data back. IOS uses an encrypted disk, and when you wipe it, the decryption key is removed and replaced. You can't use something like a disk recovery tool on it like exists for PCs, because any data remaining would be encrypted with the old/missing key. You're going to have to suck it up and learn your lesson. Setup a proper backup scheme after you wipe it. There is really no excuse these days for not having backups -- it's so simple and there are so many options.

To everyone else on this thread, is it too much to ask to stop being such a nasty horde? If you think that's what makes a community, then you don't deserve the free help that others provide to each other here.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Correct. But from what the OP has posted, sounds like this what happened. Not having done this myself, guessing the message they are getting would be what one sees after 10 failed attempts and erase (guessing that with the erase option off, will still let you enter passwords, just will take one hour between attempts).
While I haven't played around with it personally, I'm not sure that without erase option it will just keep on increasing the time but never fully lock out, I believe it will still lock out just not actually erase things (like reset all settings and erase data option would do, for example).

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
The answer is no, there is no way to get the data back. IOS uses an encrypted disk, and when you wipe it, the decryption key is removed and replaced. You can't use something like a disk recovery tool on it like exists for PCs, because any data remaining would be encrypted with the old/missing key. You're going to have to suck it up and learn your lesson. Setup a proper backup scheme after you wipe it. There is really no excuse these days for not having backups -- it's so simple and there are so many options.

To everyone else on this thread, is it too much to ask to stop being such a nasty horde? If you think that's what makes a community, then you don't deserve the free help that others provide to each other here.
Nasty horde lol. Is this the first time you’ve run into someone trying to use these forums for illegal behavior? First post on new account, doesn’t even know the iOS on the phone, let alone password... he’s trying to break in. Plain and simple.

OP, if you aren’t, convince us why not. Every detail points towards it, so you hopefully should be clear.

Reactions: haruhiko

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nasty horde lol. Is this the first time you’ve run into someone trying to use these forums for illegal behavior? First post on new account, doesn’t even know the iOS on the phone, let alone password... he’s trying to break in. Plain and simple.

OP, if you aren’t, convince us why not. Every detail points towards it, so you hopefully should be clear.
Ultimately, does any of that really matter? There's nothing that could be done no matter what.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Is there a chance in this entire universe by which I can get any iPhone pictures back after doing complete factory wipeout?

In the known universe there is not.

Any third-party program, any means by which this is possible?

No third-party program is available to you to achieve this.

Do I need to consult the Dark Web, or write an email to Steve Jobs?

No and no.

What do I do?

Take a deep breath, reflect on the mistake you’ve made and learn from it. You’re in a unfortunate situation for sure, but this is not the end of the world and you can do better.

I’m not going to say what your mistake was or what you’ve done wrong. You know it better than anyone here. But it’s still good advice and applies to you.

Best of luck with everything.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I did go to Apple Store and they told me that the only way to get the phone back is to do factory reset. If I do factory reset, I will lose all the data, and I'm trying to see if that can be prevented.

If you forgot all of that information and you don't have a backup you've already lost all the data - chalk this up to learning why a backup is important and use an easy to remember passcode.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Yes, write an e-mail to Steve, stevejobs@heaven.above

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
There's no circumvention of locked phones and asking for help will only cause the thread to devolve into accusations and bickering and as such I'm locking it.

OP, if its your phone, bring it to apple with the receipt and they should help you

Reactions: cyb3rdud3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.