Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skahlden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Hello,

I am hoping someone here may be able to offer some insight. I lost my brother this past year and have his MacBook Pro. I don't know anything about Macs since I am a Windows user but desperately want to access his pictures (he always took a ton at the holidays and family events). However, Apple wasn't helpful (without a court order, which is expensive and taking forever) since he has FileVault enabled on his computer. I know the computer also has a Windows side. Basically, I want to know if there is any way to get into his computer without knowing his password. Any help at all would be so greatly appreciated.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hello,

I am hoping someone here may be able to offer some insight. I lost my brother this past year and have his MacBook Pro. I don't know anything about Macs since I am a Windows user but desperately want to access his pictures (he always took a ton at the holidays and family events). However, Apple wasn't helpful (without a court order, which is expensive and taking forever) since he has FileVault enabled on his computer. I know the computer also has a Windows side. Basically, I want to know if there is any way to get into his computer without knowing his password. Any help at all would be so greatly appreciated.
The purpose of FileVault is to ensure this doesn’t happen. If it were so easy to bypass encryption, why have it?

My condolences, but a verification of death and/or court order for Apple’s cooperation are your only options here.

Reactions: Kissmyne

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Hello,

There is no way without the password.Sorry.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Do you know his Apple ID/Password (they are not the same thing as Filevault)? If you do and the Mac account was set up for AppleID recovery just get the password wrong until you get the "reset with AppleID" message. If you don't get that message then the account wasn't set up for it or it's an older macOS version.

A lot of ifs, I know, but maybe worth a try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.