Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
We forgot the PIN/passcode on an old iPhone we want to use for an overseas trip.

Is there any way to recover the device without a computer? Any trusted computer it may have been used with previously is out of commission by now. The data is not important (besides, it probably still has an undeleted iCloud backup if needed). Just need to be able to use the phone.

I have the iCloud username and password. It's just the PIN we've forgotten.

rui no onna

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I think the only way would be a DFU mode restore which requires a Mac or PC. It doesn’t need to be trusted.
Well this is disappointing.

Given Apple's push for a post-PC world, you'd think they might make something like this doable remotely via other trusted devices. I actually did try doing Erase via Find My iPhone but that asked for both iCloud password and device PIN so it was a no go.

Time to unearth the laptop.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well this is disappointing.
From an owner's perspective, I can certainly see that.

From a thief's perspective, being able to place a device in DFU mode and restore makes it ridiculously easy to get around a security feature.

In fact, this is exactly why iCloud lock was created. People complained about how easy it was to defeat a PIN code for years.

Given Apple's push for a post-PC world, you'd think they might make something like this doable remotely via other trusted devices. I actually did try doing Erase via Find My iPhone but that asked for both iCloud password and device PIN so it was a no go. Time to unearth the laptop.
How do you make something secure by allowing what you want to do for you but denying it for others?

Implement something that allows people to get around the security features they have enabled simply because they forgot a code or password will likewise be held up as a security flaw that Apple should NOT allow when someone takes advantage of that same avenue.

You're asking Apple to cut you slack because of your forgetfullness but still protect you.

No offense, I'm just stating a fact. There is no middle ground on this.

rui no onna

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
How do you make something secure by denying unauthorized people from doing exactly what it is you want to do?

Implement something that allows people to get around the security features they have enabled simply because they forgot a code or password will likewise be held up as a security flaw that Apple should NOT allow when someone takes advantage of that same avenue.

You're asking Apple to cut you slack because of your forgetfullness but still protect you.

No offense, I'm just stating a fact.
If anyone with a computer can still DFU restore anyway, then that's still a workaround. As has been mentioned earlier, the computer doesn't even have to be trusted.

Either method still requires knowledge of the iCloud username and password to remove iCloud activation lock. That's fine. The disappointment stems from specifically requiring a computer with iTunes in order to DFU restore. The local data is toast either way and it's possible to still protect the device via iCloud activation lock even without that requirement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.